Sheet layers from standard

stradlin

Hello-

I'm fairly new to VW, and so forgive me if this has an obvious answer...

I'm trying to create a new sheet layer from a standard template file, but that option is grayed out and unselectable in the layer dialog. There are a number of files in the Standards folder. What could be happening?

Thanks

You can't open a template file, you can only create a new file from a template file. You can then set a file up using the desired settings and create a template for future use.

Go to File>New and select From Document Template.

Alter the file how you want

Go to File>Save As Template

Have you looked into "Create Standard Viewports?" This may be what you're looking for. Sheets themselves don't have much information and so maybe aren't worth copying file to file? And evidently viewports can not be copied from one document to another... Hmm... I think the answer to your question may be "no." So, creating and using a template file or using "Create Standard Viewports" may be the way to go. I'm fairly new to VW too, so I can only hope this will be helpful...

Why would you want to import a sheet layer with viewports into another file? If you are looking for a way to set up standard project sheets, it may be better to just use the Documents Settings options to set up the sheet layers and viewports, save it as a Template for new projects. Also, it is so simple to make new layers, classes and viewports on the fly, custom to the particular project, it hardly seems worth the bother.