UpdateToVW1251from1250 will not see my VW folder

Fredrik

Question

Having downloaded the installations file twice with the same result. When starting the installer and I come to when to localise which VW to upgrade, I have only one, the finder window and the installer disappears. I tried not to go to the folder, but search for VectorWorks. Then I could scroll to the folder, the program itself was not choose able, but selecting the folder gave an reaction like I had pushed the cancel button. Seems to be no way to do this upgrade.

I am on a norwegian OSX system with an english(US) VW. If that matters.

12 answers to this question

Do you have multiple instances of VW 12 installed (any version) ?

Has the application been moved to a driver other than the primary drive?

Has the VectorWorks application (not the folder) been renamed?

Do you have multiple instances of VW 12 installed (any version) ?

no

Has the application been moved to a driver other than the primary drive?

yes, but only to the Application folder

Has the VectorWorks application (not the folder) been renamed?

no

On my hard-drive there is only one VW installed. The folder has only been renamed by the upgrader to "VectorWorks 12.5.0" and this upgrade try happened at work where no other drive was present.

My hard-drive has been changed to a bigger one, and renamed since last install.

Back then, I made a clean install of the OS, and moved the VW folder from the old backup to my Application folder. Can not remember if I moved something from my Library

To make a new try, I backed up and then deleted my "VectorWorks 12.5.0". Then I made a new install from my VW12.0 CD's and tried to upgrade directly to 12.5.1. Same result. The installer disappears just before the right folder is about to show up when I scroll down for "VectorWorks 12.0.0".

Optimism can be hard to separate from stupidity sometimes. So I am pleased to se that I can open my 12.5. files from 12.0.0. smirk.gif

Edited by Fredrik

Tried this, but no change. Sat the same permissions to all the objects in the folder, still the same abruption.

To make it clear, I now use the "UpdateTo1251" installer.

Trying ones more.. The copy of "VectorWorks 12.5.0" I have on a backup disk without any system on, took this just before trying yo update first time ..went out fine! Even with the 12To1251 updater.

Trying another time to update the copy on my backup disk (complete copy of my main drive every week) with a system on did not work out. Neither did it help to move the VW folder from the main Apps folder to my user Apps folder.

The updated folder is copied to my main App's folder and it works. So I am pleased, but this was a bit odd.

Hard drives names are "Dovrehallen", "Platelageret", "hundreogseksti" and "LaCie Disk". Nothing special.

Tried to upgrade on the last backup disk witch not is Journaled, but Mac OS Extended.

I was able to start installing on two program folders, but now after having tried many times I can tell that it's possible to choose some folders. It shuts down the installer, not necessery on a Vector Works folder. I can choose "FileMaker Pro 5.5 Folder", but not "FileMaker Developer 7". What's in the last is as follows:

English Extras

Extensions

FileMaker Developer

FMD Acknowledgements.pdf

FMD License (English).pdf

FMD Read Me (English).pdf

Installer Log File

ODBC Import Drivers

Runtime Templates

Web

-If this can make any cense to you. I tried this twice to justify.

I had exactly the same problem with the earlier version of the updater. The workaround was to create an alias of my VW 12.5 folder (I moved it to my desktop where it was easy to find) and select the alias with the updater. Worked fine.

Same problem and same fix with the updated updater posted a week ago.