Site model facet edge and image prop shadows

I have a site model with several image prop trees from the x-Frog library which shipped with VW LandMark. The IP's were placed with AEC/Terrain/Send to Surface. These IP trees have the usual "X" config in plan view. Some are rotated a bit for variation. When the model is rendered in 3d Triangle RW Final or Fast Shadow, there are strong, straight, wide black bands where the IPs intersect the surface. But only the blades prox perpendicular to the sight line. How can I get rid of these lines? These bands show in textured and solid color surface. Bands do not show in OpenGL rendering.

In a related story: My site models always render with dark outlines at many facet edges throughout the model - turf texture, solid color, doesn't matter. Except the outlines are lighter than surrounding surface where surface is in a shadow. It looks like the facets are not quite stitched together and a background color is revealed through the gaps. Any experience with this, or how to correct?

Thanks

-B

Use Custom RenderWorks and set the custom RW recursion settings to a higher number. You may need to experiment with this number until all the image props render.

As for the Site Model - which 3D style are you using?

Thanks, Katie - The image props render nicely at all RW settings - Fast, Shadow, Final, various Custom. Problem is that dark bands appear where the Image Prop planes intersect the site model surface. It seems like a shadow of the IP plane. I can increase trees' Z height to raise the trees above the surface and prevent the intersections of surface and IPs (except where the IPs are placed on a significant slope). This elimiates the dark band on the surface, but then the trees float in the air. Rotating the trees so that the IP "X" is 45 deg to the sun direction reduces the effect somewhat, but does not eliminate it.

Increasing recursion makes no difference. The Custom RW dialog box would not accept any recursion number higher than 250. Changing all Ray Trace and other options to Highest did not eliminate or change the bands, or allow higher recursion values.

I am rendering views with the RW Camera tool, both Fast RS and Custom with high recursion. Site model shows gaps between facets in 3d Grid, 3d Mesh Solid, 3d Triangle, 3d Trianglulated Contour modes. The 3d Contour mode does not render any image in the camera image field. 3d Extruded Contour causes most of the model to dissappear - only a few coutours are visible in plan, and the camera view renders nothing, not even the image props or other 3d objects which should be in the view. Gaps in the 3d Grid mode are totally understandable, as edges of square "plates" cannot always align on multi-curved surfaces. But edges of triangles should align without gaps. Smoothing in the 3d Triangulated Contour mode does not remove the gaps, but rather creates more of them. I will get to the bottom of this yet!