STEP File format

The trouble with IGES and dwg/dxf files is that when he opens them in Rhino, all the 3D elements are exploded. A cube, for example, is broken down into 6 separate planes. This requires lots of extra time to stitch everything back together for rendering. Don't ask why we have to use Rhino, long story that I don't have control over. Re; 3DS, I'll ask him again, but I'm pretty sure he said Rhino will not import 3DS files.

From the Rhino web site

File formats supported: DWG/DXF(AutoCAD 200x, 14, 13, and 12 ), SAT (ACIS), X_T (Parasolid), 3DS, LWO, STL, OBJ, AI, RIB, POV, UDO, VRML, BMP, TGA, CSV (export properties and hydrostatics), uncompressed TIFF, STEP, VDA, GHS, SLC, Deep Paint 3D.

IGES (Alias, Ashlar Vellum, AutoFORM, AutoShip, Breault, CADCEUS, CAMSoft, CATIA, Cosmos, Delcam, EdgeCAM, FastSurf, FastSHIP, Integrity Ware, IronCAD, LUSAS, Maya, MAX 3.0, MasterCAM, ME30, Mechanical Desktop, Microstation, NuGraf, OptiCAD, Pro/E, SDRC I-DEAS, Softimage, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, SUM3D, SURFCAM, TeKSoft, Unigraphics), NASA GridTool, Yamaha ESPRi, Tebis.

That's not to say any of these will give you what you need, but I hope something works out for you.

Alan

Katie, everything is converted to NURBS during translation - the only object type that Rhino deals with. So, just as in VW, when you convert an extrude to NURBS, you get a group of NURBS surfaces.

For rendering purposes, these will render like any other Rhino surface. I don't think it's reasonable to expect any better translation from one program to another when the one supports multiple object types, and the other doesn't.