12.5 Stacked layers and show, snap, modify, others

JMF19

In plan view, it seems that I can not select "show/snap/modify others" while my stacked layers is on. I get the message "Can not set the layers options to Show/snap/modify others while in stack layers mode" This has changed from 12.0.1. I need to select multiple objects on different classes and layers and move them together a certin distance. Is there a way around this? Why would you want to turn stack layers off?

PS. I'm using Windows XP and a dual processor.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

No problem to select things in different classes, however it is spatially very difficult to resolve "where you are" on multiple layers with multiple 3D origins. You can still snap to 3D points on other layers, but to modify items in Stack Layer mode you have to be on the layer of the thing you want to edit.

As for turning "stack layers" off, many users traditionally use the independent layer views available in VectorWorks to compose sheets in design layers, rather than using viewports.

PS: the alert message may be new for 12.5, however I'm pretty sure that you could not modify multiple layers simultaneously in any version of VW12.

Robert,

I don't think you quite understood my question, so let me try again...

When drawing a house, buiding, etc. the walls of one floor usually line up one over the other. Therefore it is only logical that you would want the layers to STACK one directly over the other.

SO, lets say I want to turn my entire building 15 degrees clockwise. Previously I would turn stack layers on, go into "Top/Plan" view; turn on "Show/snap/modify/others"; then select the entire buiding (on many different layers) and simply rotate it!

Until we installed VW 12.5, we could preform this operation. Now, we are getting an error message "Cannot set the layer options to show/snap/modify/others while stacked layers is on"

Again, we are talking specifically TOP/PLAN view with stacked layers on so everything lines up. Understand?

Looking forward to resolving this soon!

JMF, if your objects truly align, just turn the necessary layers on, go into the appropriate layer view mode, use "Align Layer View" to get everything aligned (top plan or top, doesn't matter). Then you can select and rotate everything. Works for me in version 12.5.1.

My understanding of Stack Layers is that it was designed for a very different purpose: it works in a way similar to a model layer with layer links, in that rendering mode and the 3d view of multiple layers can be coordinated with Stack Layers. So you can be in, say, 1st floor walls layer, and look at the whole building, and orbit it, etc., with Stack Layers enabled. I don't think Stack Layers is always the best system for actual design manipulations.