Rotation

Have you tried "Align Layer Views?" If your active layer is in Top view, for example, and the others are in Top/Plan, you can't select the other layers' objects.

Also (see more recent thread) STACK LAYERS has to be disabled!

Also, all layers have to be in the same scale, and not contain locked layer links (or other locked objects!), for your strategy to work.

Fair Point...I started out aligning the building to the site plan which is a reflection of my Autocad background.

The reason I had 20 layers is because I had 5 units stepped down a slopping site, and so I put a story or roof etc., on each layer so I could change the elevation of each townhouse.

Is there an easier way to do this?

As it turn out, I emailed it to VW support here in Australia, and the roof that was rotating by itself, was corrupted, and when it was erased and replaced, the problem was solved. Have you heard of this?

Thanks for your help,

The reason I had 20 layers is because I had 5 units stepped down a slopping site, and so I put a story or roof etc., on each layer so I could change the elevation of each townhouse.

Starts to make sense. These are quite difficult situations (been there...). With one-storey buildings it might be possible to use classes to separate different vertical components and have each building on its own layer, but with two storeys the resulting file structure is somewhat complicated to handle efficiently. Doable, though, and perhaps still less error-prone than having to adjust the elevations of multiple layers for each building.

If the townhouses are identical, then you of course only need to draw & model one and you can "assemble" the overall design with layer links. The "house design" can then be in whatever orientation you wish (as long as you keep it the same all the time).