Drawing elevations

I'm an AutoCad user at work, using VW at home for side work. I am currently drawing interior elevations, and am used to being able to draw them from plans that were "xref'ed" into my drawing and rotated to align wall and openings. In VW, I can see how to show a plan by turning on the plan layer, but how do you rotate the thing without changing the nature of the original plan? Or, how do VW users draw elevations, if you don't have a fully developed model? I tend to use the program for 2D work, and haven't build a complete model of my project.

Well, Jon, I very often draw (initial) elevations in 2D with lines. However, for this I use this little known invention called pen and paper. A fantastic user interface! I use it also for massing studies, perspective/axo sketches and what have you. Extremely versatile.

After this, I start to develop the 3D model in VW and get my elevations that are good enough for at least design development and draft permit & working drawings.

Edited by Petri

Peter

Thanks for getting back.

We do it a similar way - 2 vp's - one HL set to sketch and one Fast RW with Shadows. But boo, as you say it takes time and whilst it may not be complicated it can be to those who are learning.

I few qeries on your elevation:

1. How do you do your shadows? They look nice and simple but effective.

We use 4 suns, but it takes a lot of fiddling to get it right.

2. Are you getting you thick black lines in annotations or in classes?

3. Are you getting your renders in the object info

<<<1. How do you do your shadows? They look nice and simple but effective. We use 4 suns, but it takes a lot of fiddling to get it right.>>>

Final Quality RW's. In most cases my shadows are from a "real" sun, by which I mean I set true north based on the surveyor's data and a set light source with accurate lat/long, day of year & time of day. So what happens to the dark (north in my case) side of the house? In that particular shot (which is the north side) I set the sun to very early in the morning, in the summer. This gives me the light you see on the north side. One other thing of note: in order to light all four elevs effectively I uses two layer links. They are identical except that their respective "suns" are set to different days/times. Those layer links are not used for anything else.

<<<2. Are you getting you thick black lines in annotations or in classes?>>>

I assume you mean to ask " are you *drawing* the heavy lines in annotations?" Yes, they're in the annotations of the HL VP. When I set the render option to "sketch" the annotations are sketched as well. I find this the most effective, and easiest method.

<<<3. Are you getting your renders in the object info?>>>

Yes & no. My first render (for each elev) is done in the layer link (ie: on the design layer) so that I can tweak the sun position without having to go back and forth from sheets layers to design layers, etc. Once I get what I'm after I create a VP (for each elev), with the rendering set to FQRW. I then properly position each of these VP's on its sheet. Then I use "OptionClick" to duplicate each VP in place, then change the duplicates via the OIP to HL, fiddle with line weights, etc.

Hope that expalins it better ;-)