Sign in to follow this  
Dieter @ DWorks

CalcVolume(obj) With Walls!

this command works only with walls withouth peaks, when the wall is modified with ex. fit walls to roof, the you get a peak and the volume vw gives is the half of the triangle piece on top of the wall!!! does someone encountered this problem to?

Very brief testing, but I get exactly the same volume from a wall with peaks and the mesh from "convert to a mesh".

I tried to draw a wall with a peak (2x2 and a peak 2x0.5). then I draw an extrude like the wall (same shape). The extrude gives the correct volume, the wall not!!!

I just tried the calculation in a spreadsheet and if found that when you calculate the volume with volume, the answer is the same incorrect one like with CalcVolume() from vectorscript. If i then do wallthickness*surface, i get the correct answer!!!

If i then do wallthickness*surface, i get the correct answer!!!

No, you don't. The volume is not that. You have to get the net area of one side only; ObjectVariableReal something, instead of the entire surface (= both sides + edges).

Well, perhaps you are doing something funny because I get the same & correct volumes by whichever means.

Incidentally, I just recently updated my generic area & volume calculation commands and objects and while doing that, tested the VS functions extensively.

I still can't reproduce any of your findings.

I'm on 12.5 - but it is very unlikely that this would have been broken. I am sure that the VS call uses the same "core program" routines as Object Info and worksheet.

Check from VectorSript Appendix, I don't memorize these things. netArea := GetObjectVariableReal(varNo);

I tried all the numbers to 10000, and none of the ones that gave something match the net area!!! So this is not the way to find it???

And there's something very wrong with calcvolume for walls!!! it only is correct when the wall has no peaks!!! and i'm making a command to calculate everything in my drawing and give it like i want it. the reason why i want to make it in vs is because the spreadsheet is not that flexibe. i just want the results and not a line for each wall!!!

Edited by someonenamedlink

Look from the VS Reference (Additional Resource / Appendix). In my testing there was nothing wrong in calculations regarding walls with peaks - but then again, even I may be wrong.

Besides, you don't need a line for each wall in the spreadsheet if you use "sum" function.

There is nothing in the reference that says what to use for retrieving the net area of a wall!! I looked different times at it! I can't find it, so if it is there, can you show me where?

Goodness me...

Appendix G: Object Selectors. Walls.

Wall Left Gross Area: 608

Wall Right Gross Area: 609

Wall Gross Area: 610

Wall Left Net Area: 611

Wall Right Net Area: 612

Wall Net Area: 613

Is it really this hard for you?

k, thx for that.

But that info is not in the appendix!!! althought not in the one of vw 12!!! so i could not find it!!!

I tried all the numbers and i found that you're not completely correct:

608: wall net area

609: wall left net area

610: wall right net area

611: wall gross area

612: wall left gross area

613: wall right gross area

Thx much!!!

But that info is not in the appendix!!! althought not in the one of vw 12!!! so i could not find it!!!

How do you think I found it? The fact that you could not find it does not mean that it is not in the appendix.

I tried all the numbers and i found that you're not completely correct:

Oh dear me! I most humbly and sincerely beg your pardon for missing your mouth when spoon-feeding you.

EDIT/PS:

Is there any truth in this: "Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae"?

Edited by Petri

It's been in every version I have had. Maybe you should reinstall VW if some Help files have gone missing.