Change from windows to Apple Intel Mac?

Before you make the switch, we can take a look at what is happening on the PC and see if there's a way to resolve the problem there.

Switching to a Mac at this point would change a few things about your license, which may be an extra cost. In addition, if you are not familiar with using a Mac, the switch may take a while to get used to.

Do you mean it won't launch sometimes? (rather than the word "load")

Do you get an error message?

How do you open the application -> Start menu, short cut, task bar, double click on files that reside on local computer, double click on files that reside on network, or other?

I click on the desk top icon the VW screen opens with the VW license screen appearing then after a short pause the prog closes down and I get the usual MS message to say that the prog has had to close and to I want to sent a message to MS. If this happens it will continue in this way indefinitely unless I reinstall. Rebooting does not help.

Colin,

I use Windows XP and find it to be generally very stable. I keep it tuned MY WAY and updated through Windows Update. Saying that I do not allow Windows Update to update Automatically - always manually and also choose 'Custom' when doing so allowing me to choose the updates I want.

I do not use Windows Firewall - I use Zone Alarm - defrag as needed and Avast free Antivirus.

This machine I do not use for emails but I do use it on the internet.

I also have turned off all Services I do not want running and generally keep it tweaked and healthy.

I think keeping everything updated is the key.

On the other side, a Mac with Intel Dual Core processors is very fast and an excellent machine. You can even install Windows and have a dual boot workstation. On the Mac side you won't have viruses, and VW runs very well under Mac OS X.

It really depends if you are open to learn a new platform but if you are planning on changin your computer, I strongly recommend a Macintosh.

Edited by Hugo

I'm with Hugo. You get, among other things, layer transparency and some other features that require the OS X Quartz -graphics system (there may be something similar some day in Vista), a fully-editable colour palette and, last but not least, the possibility of conventiently and efficiently use an ergonomically superior one-button mouse instead of carpal tunnel syndrome -inducing multi-button thingies that require a manual and reference card.

Despite the FUD (fear, uncertainty, deception) spreaded even here by NNA representatives, learning Mac OS is not difficult and I have never known anyone, who would have moved from Mac to Windows on other grounds than the availability of some special software or cost.

At some stages there have been speed issues, too, but they are generally exaggerated: the slowest part of a CAD-system is always the wetware.

Colin. You should not be getting ANY crashes opening VectorWorks in Windows. I would strongly suspect that your PC has some conflict going on. Is it only VectroWorks with these issues or is this happening with others systems? Have you virus checked AND Spyware checked? Spyware is probably the thing that will slow down and eat resources these days more than viruses (a good spyware tool is http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/).

I run VectorWorks on both Windows and Mac (Power PC and Intel). Both platforms are as stable as the other provided you maintain the machine running it.

As the software is bombing at startup it could be one of many things. What spec is your PC, what RAM, what video card etc? Email these to NNA support and they can help you out properly.

Petri, are you really still using a one button Apple mouse? If so you are really missing out on a host of powerful improvements in VectorWorks.

From an ergonomic standpoint the Apple mouse is actually very unergonomic as its shape does not full support the palm of the hand or the wrist. The new Apple Might mouse is no better as the lack of positive feedback when depressing the "buttons" is again ergonomically unsound. The first thing I do when we get a new Mac is replace all the mice with more suitable scroll button mice (sizes depending on the user's hand size).

One of the best range is actually produced by Microsoft.....

Colin

It's my understanding, as a UK user, you can only change platforms when upgrading, and as you already have 12.5 it's waiting for VW13. But speak to the UK distributors, Computers Unlimited.

As regards your problem, I run both versions of VW, I'll admit they are not up to date but there is no major difference in usage.

As for buying a Mac, of course the OS is different but apart from some minor changes Apple make, the hardware's the same, in other words your buying a PC.

The Power Mac is an excellent machine whatever platform you choose to run on it but it's a Dual dual core Xenon based system and may well be overkill for your needs.

The alternative is the iMac, but it's as you probably know, a all in one unit and you may prefer buying your monitors as separate items. Also upgradability is limited compared to the normal stand alone tower units from Windows based suppliers.

Therefore the only "advantage" in usage terms of a Mac is in the operating system which is down to personal preference.

Apple have been lucky that the scumbags that infest the internet making and spreading a virus have not cast there eye towards Apple. If they ever do in earnest then all those unprotected users will have to think again.

Bear in mind if you load windows on a Mac you will of course, on the Windows side, be susceptible to virus etc. as if you had any other Windows machine.

As for using a mouse, most work with Apples and one of the first things I do is get rid of the one button, "this makes working slower and more clicks/things to do to perform the same task" Apple mouse and get a good scroll wheel multi-button mouse.

The only pain I've suffered in using these in many years is with the wireless ones. I found the extra weight brought about by having batteries inside made my wrist ache. I'm going back to a lighter, corded laser model.

Alan

Petri, are you really still using a one button Apple mouse? If so you are really missing out on a host of powerful improvements in VectorWorks.

Yes. I tried a fancy wireless multi-button mouse just recently for a few weeks, but that can only be held with a Secret Grip. The Apple mouse I can hold (or not hold: sometimes I just reach a finger towards it and it works) any way I like.

Previa,

VW is a display dependent application. The video driver controls display issues. Any time a problem occurs that's related to a run time error or refresh or display, the video driver is usually the culprit.

Video driver updates are usually published every 3-6 months. I have never found a computer to come up to date with any driver out of the box, especially video drivers.

The video driver should be obtained from the manuf. website, not by clicking the update button in the display preferences. Usually the update button will take you to the most recent windows certified display driver, which is rarely the latest video driver release.

A program like MS Word, the internet, or email application is less video/redraw/ dependent, therefore you don't notice issues such as those you might find relating to the video driver being out of date in apps like VW, Photoshop, or Illustrator.

The video card is hardware, just like a printer and sound card. The hardware is controlled by an application, otherwise known as a driver. I have yet to find any software/driver that is flawless and is without bugs, including the operating system. As the Operating System changes or updates, as well as different applications, the video driver needs to also update along with those changes. (Sometimes the reverse occurs - the hardware is updated faster than applications/Operating Systems).

It's a good rule of thumb to check for all hardware/driver/OS/application updates every 3-6 months. This will keep your operating system and its applications in an optimal state.

Colin,

From a VW license ownership standpoint, you'd have to talk to your sales rep about a change in platforms, since the license is usually platform specific.

From every other standpoint, it all depends on how comfortable you are with the Apple operating system. Another thing to examine is to ensure the hardware and periphals you have for the PC are compatible with a Mac, such as printers, mice, scanners, etc. You may also want to consider what applications are available to you on a Mac operating system. In some cases, software is only available on a Mac OR PC, not both platforms. In other cases, some software is more compatible with one or the other and some software is the same on the Mac and PC.

I can't provide a dollar value on the switch, but all of the above are things to consider when switching platforms.

I wasn't intending to put fear, uncertainty, or deception in the minds of anyone. I was providing information so the consumer, in this case, could make an educated decision rather than a snap decision.

I've done this job long enough to see people make snap decisions that came back to get them in the end.

I'm not here to say stay with PC, forget macs, nor am I going to say "go with the mac, abandon PC".

A good bit of consumers, from my experience here and other software companies, are not aware of financial implications of switching platforms without doing research.

I don't think any of my posts have been slighted one way or the other.

I just remembered this evening that at around the time VW 12 was released one of the things mentioned by Sean Flaherty was that it would now come cross platform so you could install a license on Mac or PC, no longer having to be purchased platform specific.

The serial number would be the same one and of course with the UK version this means the dongle must be there and match the serial number, so no chance of trying anything illegal.

I've done a search but I can't seem to find it and think it may have been a feature discussed on the Users list rather than here.

As for NNA's or its staff expressing a choice for which platform you use, I've never seen them suggest anything other than what suits the user, taking into consideration other software you may use and the other elements that make up your usage such as collaboration, existing equipment, size of operation etc.

Indeed Sean Flaherty has appeared in articles on the Mac only Architosh site on several occasions so I'd say that NNA shows support in equal measure for both platforms.

Just be happy that your choice of platform is not limited to one in NNA's eyes.

The difference in OS operating on what is virtually the same hardware has reached a point were it really is down to personal preferences.

Finally going back to a comment some post ago,regarding editable colour palette with Macs. I checked my Windows 10.5 version of VW and I can edit all the colours.

Alan

Edited by alanmac

I've done this job long enough to see people make snap decisions that came back to get them in the end.

Indeed. In the 20 years I've been involved in other people's choice of hardware and software, I've seen this many times. Why, some have even switched from the Mac to Windows just because the box is a tad cheaper and have not considered the overall benefits of the better platform, ie. long-term financial implications.