Updating rendering

It would be nice if you could set the default rendering mode to whatever you like (similar to C4D, etc.), but I don't think it can be done in VW (can it?). What I do is just create a saved view for plan, perspective, elevation, etc. with the rendering mode I want. In fact, I often will have one perspective saved view in Final Renderworks, and the identical view saved in Wireframe, and use the WF as my source for spinning around the model quickly for working, and the FR as a static view when I want to check how the "look" is coming (and have time to wait).

As far as keystrokes, I believe the default for shaded Final polygon is (on Windows) Ctrl-Shift-P, Final Renderworks is Ctrl-Shift-F, Wireframe Ctrl-Shift-W, and Open GL is Ctrl-Shift-G. Translate as necessary for Mac. I don't have access to VW right now, so I might be wrong, but just pull down the render menu and see what's listed there.

I'm doing most of my work now in 3d and switch back and forth between plan and perspective views to check my work. I can force openGL rendering with comm-shift G but is there a way to set prefs to render automatically or another keystroke to render the shaded/unshaded polygons?
Edited by daomun
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

On a side note, what makes you prefer the polygon rendering modes? They have issues with complex models that cannot easily be overcome, so our development has emphasized OpenGL, etc. I'm just curious how you use that rendering, and whether the newer modes could be enhanced to replace them.

Edited by Andrew Bell@NNA

I use the polygon rendering mode quite a bit, mainly for setting the 3d working plane. I know there are other techniques, but I find clicking on the polygon face the simplest, fastest, and least prone to mistakes. And it only works with polygon rendering. I wish it did work with open GL, I'd rather use that.

But maybe there's a better way?

It's also one of the only two rendering modes that work with Sketch - Hidden Line and Shaded Polygon, right? Although I don't really use it with Sketch.

On a side note, what makes you prefer the polygon rendering modes? They have issues with complex models that cannot easily be overcome, so our development has emphasized OpenGL, etc. I'm just curious how you use that rendering, and whether the newer modes could be enhanced to replace them.
Edited by daomun

I don't know about others, but I use the polygon rendering because it's more accurate when checking my work. The OpenGL is great for clients and looking at the overall esthetic, but I think it's precision derives from looking at the polygon earlier.

Thanks to all for your replies - I set up a keystroke for rendering and am happy again.

DonB