GeoTIFF import?

Petri

I noticed that there is an object variable called "georeferenced" (or thereabouts). Does this mean that we can import GeoTIFFs to their defined locations?

Another interesting thing was "long/lat" -variable. This of course is needed in GeoTIFFs, but can we also import vector data in long/lat -coordinates?

You can import/export Shape files (.shp) and their associated information into VW

You can also export a model to Google Earth if you want to look at it relative to surrounding imagery found in Google Earth.

There's an add-on called Azimuth that may do what you are talking about.

Maybe I'm not clear of the info you are trying to bring in.

As I know it, GeoTiffs are like arial photographs that come w/ shape file information.

we have a workaround here in greece.

the geotiff willbe imported into a programm called DEM2TOPO (FREEWARE) which requires a IDL VIRTUAL MACHINE (RSI will sent it for free). DEM2TOPO exports the GEOTIFF into DXF, SHP and MP. the rest is import into VW 12.05(which is not free).

VW places the DXF on the grid of the transformed GEOTIFF according to the used datum (WGS 84 or...)

kalispera kai kali xristugenna

go2greece

Maybe I'm not clear of the info you are trying to bring in.

The geographic location.

As I know it, GeoTiffs are like arial photographs that come w/ shape file information.

I don't know about the implementation, but very much doubt the format would be ArcView's proprietary format.

I don't know, but if I get a GeoTIFF, it has not necessarily been through ArcView to become a shape file. In fact, the likelihood is extremely low.

Let's quote from the competition:

"Canvas GIS Advanced 9.0.4 by ACD Systems

The CANVAS 9 Advanced GIS Mapping Edition adds native support for Geographic Information System (GIS) data to Canvas. You can take measurements in geographic coordinates, import industry standard SHAPE and GeoTIFF files"

So, a piddly little graphics program can, the famous industry leader program can't.

Edited by Petri

From what I've found by searching the internet, shape files have the ability to store much more information than GeoTIFF files and is pretty much the industry standard file format for GIS information.

I'm not saying we are never going to support GeoTIFF files, or that it's not a good wish list item.

However, we DO have a pretty good shape file import/export function available for GIS and vector-based information.

Edited by Katie
From what I've found by searching the internet, shape files have the ability to store much more information than GeoTIFF files and is pretty much the industry standard file format for GIS information.

Of course shape files have more data, but an aerial photo only needs the geographic location.

ArcView is not necessarily the true standard anywhere and definitely not outside the USA. I believe there are more programs supporting MapInfo's MID/MIF -format (which is an open standard) than shape.

But as the GIS-field is even less standardised than CAD, you of course had to make the choice.

It would of course nice if you would

(i) implement GeoTIFF import, and

(ii) provide some documentation to third parties about the use of lat/long -coordinate systems.