Turf shows through

When I make pads on my site for drives or parking, the turf from the site model frequently shows through in spots. Is there a way to avoid this?

I was wondering what the relationship between the Z value and elevation value was for a pad?

Also, can there be nonplanar pads? I'd like to have a U shaped drive leave a sloped street at one point and return higher up. I'd like the drive to drop as it leaves the street and then flatten to control the drainage. How is this done?

Scott

Scott, you could try using the NURBS ROADWAY tool [or use a center-line poly and then MODIFY>CONVERT>OBJECTS FROM POLYLINE (submenu create nurbs roadway) > command]. Create the road first, then run the SEND STATIONS TO SURFACE command (from the Object Info Palette). Once the you have the road you can play with its fence offset then update the site model. This method sometimes gives me the desired result, but sometimes it does funny things to the site model. Try it out and let us know...

Use site modifiers as pads to control the grading

Use site modifiers as texture beds to show the drive.

For complex grading (ie a u shaped drive) use mulitple pads.

Make sure that the site model is set to display "3D proposed only"

I use the elevation value in pads and not the Z value. If you use both the elevation will be added to the Z value.

I used the NURBS road, sent it to the surface, and adjusted a couple of stations. That fixed the drive. But I have a pad for the parking lot.

I assume for multiple pads I have to use sections to get them to line up? And what is a texture bed? Is that different than applying a texture to the pad?

I am having trouble with the slope as well. The pad starts at the elevation, goes up or down in the direction of the arrow - does the arrow length matter?

Sorry to be dense. I have fooled with this a bunch and now am confused.

I don't know how you would apply a texture to a pad. The texture bed is a different type of site modifier (select a site modifier and look in the object info pallet). It doesn't adjust the slope of the site model but will add a texture area on the proposed 3d model. If you have access to the hardscape objects you can make these function like a texture bed as well.

For multiple pads look at the elevations - start elevation and slope. You don't need to cover all of the site with a pad. The spaces between the pads, if large enough will be where the elevations get aligned. You may want to look at this in section to see what you are getting (or with 2d contours, or with 3d triangles etc).

The arrow length doesn't matter. The starting point and the direction does. A negative slope goes down a postive slope value goes up. The text label makes it clear what is happening here. If you don't see this text ensure that show slope arrow is on and the font size is large enough to read (this is mostly a problem if you are working at 1:1 rather than at scale).

HTH

Katie, I would agree that you should only use the elevation value to set the elevation of the pad but... and this is a big but.. if you set up a pad and enter a z value you will find that the pad moves up by the z value you set. If you then update the site model you will find that both the z value and the elevation value are influencing the dtm.