Extremely slow to no printing with HP 500

Thom

Question

5 answers to this question

We have an HP 500 and have used it for several years with VW. It is a great plotter, but there are some limitations. First, I would recommend buying the HPGL card and maxing-out the memory. Second I would recommend adding the Jet-Direct card. This plotter is very slow on a USB connection.. It is MUCH faster on an ethernet connection. VW color files and raster plot can take a long to spool before printing. One thing that helps with images is check the "optimize for images" in the print properties dialog. When we print full color presentation work we use a RIP (see HP 90 posting, it is described there). You may need to consider this option. In general I have been very happy with the 500, the print quality is great, it could be a little faster, but it's not terrible with the add-ons. I know these add to the cost, but to move to the next level printer is A LOT more money. PS: The HP 500 and 800 are identical except the installed hard drive and jet direct card. The print engine is the same and does not print faster.

Edited by johnharley

I have an old HP 750C Plus A0 color plotter and just went through heaps of dramas with it. Normally I had been drawing on Design Layers mostly at A1. Latest project - 6 A0 Sheets. My plotter - well - just would not go.

It had been running through my print server - so I configured it to run through my router through its HP Jetdirect card and installed some more memory. When printing I also chose to let the memory run from 'In Computer'. Lot of mucking around but now it is all up and running OK again -

Hi

The HP 500 is great but pose to have problems. HPGL + RAM is critical.

BUT - I wemt back to the Driver " pln243en" driver as it gives the option of "avoid ot of memory" option (2004 version and the 2003 version) The 2005 updated driver do not give that option and then you are stuck.

I printed a 35MB file today and it took minutes (OpenGL) and was gone and away.