stretching groups & symbols (2d reshape)

mjb

Is it possible to reshape a group when not in the group? ie/ ... an elevation drawn with 2d objects (lines, rectangles, polygons, etc) created with groups and symbols (windows, doors, hatches, etc) requires an adjustment in floor to floor height. From what I understand, this requires a few steps... 1. reshape lines not in a group or symbol, 2. reshape groups, 3. reshape symbols.

I guess my Vectorworks wish list includes an on/off toggle switch for groups & symbols when a global stretch is required. (things like this make me really miss ArchiCAD)

I'm trying to understand what you are saying:

Is this right?:

- select all

- select 2d reshape tool

- click and hold mouse button for the starting point of my stretch area

- release mouse button for the end point of stretch area

- the cursor changes to a selection cursor (black arrow)

- click and hold mouse button for start reference point

- release mouse button for end reference point

This stretches all 2d elements but leaves the grouped objects unmodified. Am I missing something here?

for sample, refer to:

(sorry, I can't figure out how to show image)

sample.jpg

A = original

B = using 2d reshape tool

C = what I want to do (group stretches as well)

(pink lines - group, black lines - not in group)

Edited by mjb

Select the group, don't enter the group and select all. Then stretch using the resize cursors. Groups and all other objects within will resize accordingly, but NOT symbols. Symbols are not scalable in VW. Having symbols scalable is an interesting idea, but on the other hand, of what use is a scalable toilet symbol in a program that is by nature 1:1?

When I resize as you describe, it seems to scale, not stretch. I want to stretch 2d objects. When you say "resize cursor", do you mean the symbol that appears when you are in the 2d selection tool when you are on a node?

Refer to the image in the link below to see what I'm trying to do:

ftp://markbuffone.com/sample2.JPG

A = original

B = resize as described in the last post by P Retondo

C = what I want to do

(pink lines - group, black lines - not in group)

Edited by mjb

Don't use the reshape tool - use the 2D selection tool (Arrow)

The Resize cursor of the 2D Selection tool allows you to adjust the size or proportion of an object.

The resize cursor allows you to literally change the shape configuration of an object.

Katie, the basic misunderstanding here seems to be nomenclature. In AutoCAD, and maybe in ArchiCAD, the "Stretch" command means to selectively move some, but not all, vertices. We tend to think of the "resize" operation as stretching, but this is not what mjb was trying to do. He was trying to do an AutoCAD stretch, which is similar to a VW "2d Reshape" with a selected subset of vertices.

Since we can't select vertices inside a group (by their nature, groups are bound together to preserve geometric relationships), we can't do what mjb wants.

Out of curiousity, under what circumstances is it desirable to have objects grouped, while you still want to operate on them as though they weren't grouped?

Out of curiousity, under what circumstances is it desirable to have objects grouped, while you still want to operate on them as though they weren't grouped?

To perform similar procedures on all members. Such as moving them all to a new location as a single unit or re-scaling all members.

Also, groups allow for the momentary isolation of specific editing separate from the whole drawing.

Grouping is one of the most powerful under-rated CAD procedures.

Layers, sheets, symbols, classes are based on groupings.

Imagine for a moment ... a VW lacking the capability to create groups ...