Label Legend rotation Part 2

Jim Terry

12.5 seems to have either a small glitch, or well intended fix with dubious results.

In my label legend, I have the ckt name on the left and ckt # on the right.

When I flip the unit for say back light, the name appears on the right and the # on the left.

Before 12.5, I just did a flip horizontal and all was well.

In 12.5, this action does nothing. Not a big deal, but it does affect the look of the plot.

Will be staying on 12 until someone can give me an idea of how to fix this.

And no, Right Reading text has nothing to do with it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Try not flipping, but rotating.

The change was with 12.0.1. Flipping instruments was creating instruments that did not exist in real life.

You may have also enabled the new non-rotating label legend function in 12.5. This will allow you to rotate only the instrument, but keep the labels in the same place.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

"CMD L" is not flip or miror, it's rotate, so this is working. If you enable Non-Rotation the labels will maintain their position.

If you want to see the mirror/flip problem, create an instrument symbol with the power cord exiting out the back left side. If you rotate the instrument the cable still exits the back left side. If you mirror/flip the symbol the cable will exit the back right side. Now you have an instrument that doesn't exist in the real world.

Kevin,

"CMD L" twice to go 180' is rotating I know.

As I said - If you rotate the instrument (a side light) the purpose & color information flips top to bottom. If I go into the lable legend manager and select non-rotating and then rotate the instrument using either the modify - rotate menu, or CMD L - to rotate the instrument 180' (not flip) all the information on the instrument, except instrument number, is in the wrong place. Instead of purpose and color in front of the instrument it is way above - and channel number is way below instead of behind the instrument. I tried this with at least 7 different instruments, with two different label legends, both set as as non-rotating and got the same results with the information being in weird locations.

????

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I got to thinking about your method and may even make a few more legends.

You are correct in that 5 is not a lot, however, I have legends for PARs (smaller font for unit numbers), lekos, and movers. Not to mention labels for rotators, scrollers, etc.

5 times each of those is quite a bit.

However, having said that, at the very least Front and back for each may not be such a bad idea.

Thanx for all of the other responses. I've been bussy lately and haven't logged in for awhile.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the problem is in the label legend, not the unit. Yes. If I flip a unit, it may not exist in the real world. However, for my purposes I am more interested in keeping the circuit name in the same relation to the unit whether facing north or south

If I use non-rotating, then in a vertical flip, the gel is at the base and the circuit information at the lens.

As I don't do a lot of 3D, the unit flip does not bother me.

However, it would be nice to have a way where the Label Legend stayed where it was suppose to be in all flips.

Having no recourse in 12.5, I'm going back to 12.

Jim T - how are ya?

Yeah, just found this out for myself as well. I ended up going into the Label Legend folder and duplicating the legend in use, and appending " - Back" to the name.

Then I went to Edit Layout in the LLM, and swaped the alignment on the text block for Circuit Name and Circuit Number, so I see Number on the left in the preview. Then I selected the lights in question and Assigned the new label.

Using the AutoplotVW Selection tools, it was actually less work than flipping each "downstage" facing unit.

Just to be clear, Jim and I use a Legend that has Name and Number on the same line. Flipping horizontal used to "fix" the fixtures that were pointing downstage, getting Name to appear on the left.

I too put the circuit name next to the circuit number. I developed two legends also. the 'Normal' one and one with the C-Name & C-Number reversed with 'alt' appended to it's name. I then wrote a little script to switch between the normal name & normal name with 'alt' tagged on the end or vise versa. When I see fixtures that are displaying incorrectly i just slect the fixtures and run the script. It took a little thinking ahead of time with legend naming, but this sure does beat having to flip hor, flip ver, rotate, etc, etc etc until the symbol text is displayed properly