walls with more than one render & door insertions

I have a wall that I want to model that is 4.1m high. The bottom 2.2m of the wall is made from a different type of material that the top 1.9m. I have modelled this by creating two walls, rendering them differently and stacking them one on top of the other - is this the right way to do it? The problem comes when I then try to insert a door or window into the wall at a height so that it is in both parts of the wall - if won't insert properly into both parts of the wall. Any suggestions?

Nigel,

You must create multiple walls in order to achive the desired results. Mat and Katies' method will present itself as show in the picture below (right).

multiwall.jpg

You can see how I created an set the "Z" height of the door wall to the exact height of the door. This will eliminate the wall extent plane from showing up through the opening. Also...the upper wall should be placed on another class so it can be made invisible in 2D viewport.

Procedure:

Place the lower wall...set the "Z" height...insert the door.

Cut the wall at both sides of the door.

Place the upper wall in 3 segments...go to a 3d view select the segments and adjust the "Z" height.

Pete A.

You could also do it similar to how you are now doing it - create one wall for the bottom material and another wall for the upper material, sitting on top of the first one. Put your door in the bottom wall, then use the 3d Reshape tool, in the "Add 3D Wall Peaks" mode, and reshape the wall to go around the door and trim. You will have to add four new vertices, and also you will have to do it for both walls to avoid the top of the bottom wall creating the "ghost band" through the middle of the door (reshape the top of the bottom wall to go up around the top of the door). I just tried it, and it worked for me perfectly.

Nigel,

You must create multiple walls in order to achive the desired results. Mat and Katies' method will present itself as show in the picture below (right).

You can see how I created an set the "Z" height of the door wall to the exact height of the door. This will eliminate the wall extent plane from showing up through the opening. Also...the upper wall should be placed on another class so it can be made invisible in 2D viewport.

Procedure:

Place the lower wall...set the "Z" height...insert the door.

Cut the wall at both sides of the door.

Place the upper wall in 3 segments...go to a 3d view select the segments and adjust the "Z" height.

Pete A.

I didn't address the window, but it would be similar to the door. Just reshape the bottom of the top wall around the top of the window, and reshape the top of the bottom wall around the bottom of the window. Sounds confusing, but it really is pretty easy once you try it.

Also, you might want to insert both the door and window into the top wall, not the bottom, so they show up in plan. You'll have to do some math to figure out what insertion height will put the bottoms at the correct height.

Daomun,

You may find that in attempting to use the 3D reshape tool you will not be able to exactly line up 2 points on the "Z" axis with each other in the same plane. This causes an issue in display. Your method is quick, simple and will get the job done but lacks precision with tight tolerances and if you don't mind things being a little off....plus you still need to reshape both the lower and the upper wall to avoid the wall extent plane.

Pete A

I didn't know about the limitations of the 3d reshape tool. Thanks for the info. It's always good to know about the quirks of certain tools. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future to avoid problems. Although when I used it for the above test, it seemed to snap to the jamb corners and stay aligned vertically. I didn't notice any gaps. It looked spot on. But I also didn't give it a really thorough testing/inspection.

But that's what's nice about VW, there is usually several ways to accomplish the same task, depending upon your needs and working style.

Edited by daomun

Sandking,

They can be, however, you will need to set the order whenever you want to edit wall within the same space. I have a tendency to do it both ways....entering a 3D view will allow you to select and edit walls that are on top of each other and at time I will put them to different classes on the same design layer.

Pete A.