moving object around

autocadb

I'm kind of new to this software ( a couple days) In my workflow I start with basement walls then copy them up to first floor layout then second .... and then I work on a modification. I kind of can't find out how to just click on my copied layout from "one down" and just drag it to the desired position....???? any help?

Select the walls (or whatever) and then go EDIT>COPY, then change layers and go to EDIT>PASTE IN PLACE.

[There are numerous ways to select things. Perhaps the easiest might be EDIT>SELECT ALL. YOu can also use the cursor to marquee an area, or you can click on each item to be selected while holding the shift key for multiple selections.]

I'm not quite sure what you want to do, but it sounds like you may be wanting to just have multiple floor plans laid out across one design layer, similar to how it would be done in AutoCAD (It's been a while since I've used Microstation, but if it hasn't changed much in 12 years, that's how they would approach it too). You should just be able to select all your walls (as per Peter?s instructions), and any other desired objects, then copy (Ctrl/Cmd C), click where you want the objects pasted, and then paste (Ctrl/Cmmd V). You could also just click and drag on the selected items while holding down the Opt key (or the Ctrl or Alt key on Windows ? I can?t remember which) and a copy will be automatically created - just drag it into place. However you do it, I would suggest grouping your objects right after selection, before you copy them. Just hit Ctrl/Cmd G while they are selected. This way you can select them all with a single click the next time you need to. You'll have to enter the group to work on them (Ctrl/Cmd [), or else Ungroup them (Ctrl/Cmd U). Also, when moving walls, if you don't deselect the ?enable connected wall mode? option in the mode bar, the walls will stretch all over the place, and not move as one unit.

A much better way to work in VW though is to do as Peter suggested, and create separate design layers for each floor, then copy your basement layer and paste in place (Ctrl/Cmd Alt/Opt V) on each corresponding layer. This way they will all be aligned on top of each other. Use classes and layers to organize the different parts (exterior walls, interior walls, doors, windows, etc). Use Viewports or Layer Links to view them all on one sheet. If you plan on ever doing any 3D modeling, this is definitely the way you'll want to do it.

I would suggest reading through the manual and/or getting some training material. VectorWorks (in spite of what the advertising says) is a very complicated program and will take quite some time to grasp, especially if you?re coming from AutoCAD or Microstation.

I'm kind of new to this software ( a couple days) In my workflow I start with basement walls then copy them up to first floor layout then second .... and then I work on a modification. I kind of can't find out how to just click on my copied layout from "one down" and just drag it to the desired position....???? any help?