Floor & Ceiling in perspective view

Did you have "project 2D objects" selected when you did your layer link (assuming you are using 2d polygons with linework/hatches and not using 3d polygons)? I would think that would work. If not, you may have to convert all your polys/linework to 3d polys (not sure if that will work with hatches).

Edited by daomun

Actually, one can use the "bucket" hatching inside a roof or floor for easy 3D of floors and ceilings. Make a very thin floor for this. Works in line renderings, too.

Actually, I decided to show, not only tell. There is also a pillar in the pic (or actually a solid subtraction of one) made by a circular array of lines inside the pillar.

image.php?img=perspective.png

Edited by Petri

Hatches are strictly 2D objects. If you switch to a perspective view, the hatch will not position itself correctly as you might expect all other 3D objects to do.

The grid needs to have a 3D element tied to it in order for it to display in 3D.

The easiest way to do this is to either convert to lines/convert to polys and then extrude them 0"

Katie, Petri,

You both seem to be saying different things. Katie seems to be saying that what Petri did was not possible?? Petri, I went to the site and saw your posted image..THAT is exactly what I want. Would if be too much trouble to explain in a little more detail how you do this; I am somewhat slow understanding some things.

In a VP, you can see 2D objects skewed, but not on design layers.

Draw a rectangle and add a hatch to it and change views - you'll see the rectangle doesn't change views.

For the floor, you either have to make a texture from an image that you apply to the floor or run a convert to lines and extrude so you get the 3D data

I think there's a step missing in Petri's post

He used the fill bucket part of the polygon tool to create a polygon of the shape

Then used the polygon to convert to a ceiling grid

Used a hatch as the ceiling grid pattern on both floor and ceiling

I was sitting here thinking how he went from the fill bucket to a 3D object.

Edited by Katie

Katie,

Still don't understand..keep in mind my original post of still using Architect 1.0. The steps should work in that version right? Any steps regarding "viewports" I cannot do.

Actually, what I do now is once the right perspective is generated I manually draw in the ceiling and floor tile lines using the floor pattern and reflected ceiling plans as guides. Time consuming but it gets the job done. Just looking for VW to do this for me.

Fred

Fred,

Did you try my trick above, with Katie's kind interpretation?

It does not require any version of VWA - even plain vanilla will do.

- Double-click the floor or ceiling (or control-click and choose Edit)

- Use the Hatch command (the good old bucket) for the polygon there

- Exit the object (click the Done button)

The polygon fill mode is new to VW 12.

You can certainly use the ceiling grid functions in VW 8, but they are somewhat limited from the newer versions.

Objects from polyline does not have the ability to create ceiling grids in VW 8/ Arch 101

OK, this is what worked:

1. created a layer called floor, made 24' x 24 rectangle, hatched it using the architect 24 x 24 ceiling grid & bucket.

2. grouped the hatched rectangle and used "convert line to poly " command.

3. used the "floor" command to convert the poly object to a floor object with a thickness of 1".

4. made a new layer called walls with a delta z height of 8', drew 3 enclosing ealls over the floor object.

5. Created a layer called model and layer link to floor & wall layers.

6. 2 x 2 "floor" grid appears correctly in all generated isometric and perspective views.

QUESTION: Is the ceiling grid tool in the architect toolkit an object or a hatch?

Is it filled with an actual ceiling grid object, or just a hatch?

Hatch. The "actual celing grid object" may well be a great example of software engineering, but one can work just fine without it. I've done hectares of ceilings with hatches (2D mode and 3D mode) and, miraculously, they've been actually constructed!

Decided to revisit the Actual Ceiling Grid Tool. Unsatisfactory:

1. As comes to workflow, pretty useless. One has to specifically draw the ceiling grid, which almost always means retracing. With the "floor approach", you can very often use existing polygons.

2. Defining the possible angle has to be done numerically, while with bucket hatching you can use existing geometry to define the angle.

3. There is no 3D grid whatsoever.

4. Only one line width for the perimeter & grid. I like to show the perimeter with a thicker line than the grid.

5. No height tagging. No optional diagonal line with text & suppression of the actual grid. In, say, permit drawings we do not want to show any grids, but need to show the room heights.

Good points, too:

1. Can be converted to a group, then extruded in two parts, belonging to different classes. Only slightly more cumbersome than my old practice.

2. Allows experimentation.

Edited by Petri

I believe Petri is correct, the ceiling grid is a Hatch. I guess by combining it with the retangle, converting to poly and then to floor object it became my "floor object", and when copied to another layer, my "ceiling object". It would seem that any hatch used this way would correctly represent itself in isometric and perspective views although I don't understand how this should work. Perhaps a 3D ceiling grid object with options might be a good idea, or at least a 2D plug-in.