Upgraded to 12.5 from 11.5: stair tool crashes

pgym

Question

Not sure that this is installation related, per se, but since I've just upgraded to 12.5 and none of the threads discussing the stair tool report a problem with the stair tool crashing VW, I figure it could be due to an installation problem.

Installed VW 12.5 Architect + RW from DVD. Figured I'd try out the new stair tool first since the lack of winders and double platform stairs were my biggest frustration with the previous stair tool.

Opened a new document, selected the stair tool, clicked to place, and *CRASH*!

Restarted VW, selected stair tool, selected "straight run" stair type, clicked to place, and *CRASH*!

Restarted VW, selected stair tool, clicked on "Preferences" button in toolbar, and *CRASH"!

All other items in the Building Shell palette (walls. doors, windows, window walls, ramps, escalators, elevators, columns, pilasters, drilled footings, chain extrude) work just fine; the stair tool is the only one that doesn't work.

Any idea what's going on?

VW 12.5 (Mac) w/Architect + RW, Dual 2.0 GHz G5 (M9455LL/A), OS X 10.4.7, 1.5 Mb RAM

8 answers to this question

I'm using the standard VW 12 workspaces.

The most recent error message is as follows:

"The application VectorWorks quit unexpectedly."

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0X0001)

KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x7f24cb80

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 FindFileRecordByRefNum(short) + 32

1 FindFileRecord(short, unsigned long, OpenFileInfo*, char*) + 72

2 PBGetFCBInfoSync + 108

3 InvalidateSizeCacheDataForFile + 56

4 CloseResourceFork + 36

5 CloseResFileCommon + 740

6 abort + 792292

7 WWHelp_DisplayHelpNavigation + 3480920

8 IwObject::operator new(unsigned long, IwContext const*) + 2247404

9 IwObject::operator new(unsigned long, IwContext const*) + 2309648

Edited by pgym

This happened the very first time I launched VW 12.5, before I pressed any keys, before I opened Help, before I did ANYTHING except click the Stair tool and try to place a stair.

I did NOT modify any workspaces, I did NOT change any defaults, I did NOT add any symbols, plugins, or resources from previous versions of VW or any third party resources, I did not change ANYTHING from the default installation. I simply launched VW 12.5, IMMEDIATELY selected the Stair tool in the Building Shell toolset, and tried to place a stair, and VW crashed, as it has every single time I have tried to place a stair, whether in a new document or an existing document imported from a previous version of VW.

I have tried erasing 12.5 and its Preferences file and reinstalling from the DVD, which did not resolve the problem. Again, I selected the Stair tool immediately upon opening VW and tried placing a stair, and again, VW crashed.

Update:

I have discovered that if I import a document created in a previous version of VW that contains a stair object into 12.5, I can edit existing stairs or add new stair objects, though the Select a Stair Configuration dialog never appears, but if I import a document that does not contain a stair object and attempt to add a stair, 12.5 crashes. Also, if I create a document in 12.5 and save it, then quit 12.5, and re-open the newly saved document and try to add a stair, 12.5 crashes.

I'm having a colleague create two files in 12.5, one with a stair and one without, to attempt to determine whether or not the problem is specific to the first instance of placing a stair in a 12.5 document.

I've tested the files created in 12.5 by my colleague.

For the file containing a stair, I can edit the existing stair and add new stairs, but do not get the Select a Stair Configuration dialog. I can also delete all existing stairs, save the file (both "Save" and "Save as"), quit VW, open the modified file, and add new stairs. Again, however, I do not get the Select a Stair Configuration dialog.

The file that does not contain a stair crashes whenever I attempt to insert a stair.

Further results:

Opening the file that contains a stair and leaving it open then opening the file that does not contain a stair and attempting to place a stair in the second file results in a crash.

Opening both files, adding additional stairs to the one that contains the stair, then switching to the one without the stair and attempting to place a stair results in a crash.

All of this suggests that the issue is specific to placing the first instance of a stair in a document.

Any suggestions on possible causes and to how to fix the problem?

One more question: if you edit an existing stair, and in the General tab, click the Browse button, what happens? This should open the Select a Stair Configuration dialog, but in your case, it might crash VW, and if so, then the whole problem is with that dialog. Then the next step would be to take a look in the [VW]/Libraries/Defaults/Stairs folder. There should be a Stairs.mcd file there. Try to open it. It's possible that this file is corrupt, and when the Select a Stair Cofiguration dialog tries to read this file, it crashes VW.

Clicking the Browse button in the General tab opens the "Select a Stair Configuration" dialog, but changing the stair type (from circular to platform, for example) and clicking "OK" crashes VW.

The stair file (14_Stairs Imperial.mcd) opens fine.