Weird lighting instrument behavior

JGoss

I'm wondering if anybody knows why the following happens:

When using an instrument symbol that references another symbol without any change from the original; for example the graphical Source 4 fixtures that come with Spotlight, and you insert the Etc Source 4 36? symbol (that is just the Etc Source 4 body masquerading as a 36?), the Obj Info palette shows no data.

It is kind enough to tell you that it actually inserted the Etc Source 4 body symbol, instead of the Etc Source 4 36? that you actually wanted in the drawing.

Now you can get around this issue by adding some graphical element to the 36? symbol. It doesn't even have to be visible. As long as there is some difference, it will insert the proper symbol and drop in the correct Light Info record information.

I'm using the Etc Source 4 36? symbol as an example because it comes broken straight out of the box. Any symbol based on the same idea will also do this...

But why?

And more importantly, can it be fixed?

Or should I say, will it be fixed?

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings: I had a couple of SoftSymbols users report this same behavior in vw11. According to K. Linsey it is a vw11 bug; i don't know if it's been fixed in 12. My understanding of the quick fix is to 1. edit the S4-36? symbol 2. once in the "edit symbol" window, add a line, text, whatever, to the ETC S4 body. 3. Send this object to the back so it can't be seen. 4. once you exit the "edit symbol" window the S4-36? SHOULD behave properly. i say SHOULD because i don't own vw11 yet. good luck, HTH.

Shelley