Instrument Blocking emmitter

jaz1416

Interesting, I tried it after I read your message, your right, I haven't done a direct downlight in a rendering before. My guess is that you might have to do a bit of offset on the downlight, or possiblely relocate the transmitter to the front of the instrument?

...and how do you reloctate the transmitter?

Ben

I did some more playing over Thanksgiving. I placed a focus point (height 5') then focused a S-4 Par to that point and placed it directly over the focus point at 24'. I also tried a Shakespeare 40'. when I rendered them I got perfect circles!!.Try playing with it with "draw beam" on, that will help you to see what is happening to the beam as you move the instrumant around.

What I suggest is to make a copy of the plot, and take a couple of different instruments and play around to see if it is the particular type of instrument??

You can reposition an emitter by ungrouping the symbol and the placing the emitter where you want it. All you need to render is the emmitter the actual instrument is not needed, but it will no longer be an insturment,and things get kinda weird so use a copy of the plot to play with.

• 4 months later...

After playing with this problem for a while I believe I've come up with a satisfactory work around. If you edit the 3D version of the symbol and raise the entire light above the plane that it currently sets on, then the emitter is not blocked by the instrument. Of course this makes any side or section view look a little off, but it's an easy fix to put it back into position if you want to print a section view. I've only noticed this with fresenels, it doesn't seem to be a problem with shakespeares.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You need to apply a non shadow casting texture to the instrument. All of the instruments supplied with Spotlight already have "Default Instrument Texture" applied. Also, the light in emitted from the insertion point of the object, so you may need to apply the "Default Instrument Texture" to your lighting position too.

Kevin