Printing VW12.5 on Mac to Canon IRC 3100

Chuck@GCLA

Question

Since upgrading to VW 12 and then 12.5, we have been unable to print to our Canon IR C3100 multi-functional digital laser printer. If we turn Quartz imaging off, plans print but without transpareny to layers that is a main feature of the new VW version.

The problem presents in two ways depending on which printer driver we select (and yes we have updated to the latest Canon drivers). The first version is that the print job sends from VW quite quickly and then spools through the print monitor also quickly, but when it is received at the printer it sits there forever and doesn't print. The next version is that the print job makes it out of VW to the print monitor but never leaves the print monitor on the Mac - just spools forever.

Sending the same file to our plotter (also a Canon - large format W7250) results in a normal print job in rapid timeframe with no problems at all.

We have spoken to Canon - they are completely in the dark re the solution for this problem. I can't find any similar problems reported with Canon digital multi-functional devices (combination printer, scanner, fax & photocopier).

We run 10 iMacs all running OS10.4.7/OS10.4.8 over a standard cat-5 ethernet network through a latest model switch. The problem is the same from all Macs in the office.

Any clues?

6 answers to this question

NNA

We're having a similar problem at one of my clients that only shows up on intel Macs. They have a canon ir2230 and when we print to it the patterns are reversed-what was a 25% halftone turns into a 75% halftone and vice versa.

Haven't tried to turn off quartz imaging but I'll give that a try and see what happens

The setup that's the problem:

imac intel os 10.4.8

vw 12.5

The setup that works

imac G5 os 10.4.8

vw 12.5

NNA/Chuck

Just to make this clear

the ir2230 is a digital combo copier/printer. It uses the following a proprietary Canon print controller called UFR II

From the spec sheet:

Print Drivers

UFR II: Windows 2000/XP; Windows Server

2003, Citrix MetaFrame, Macintosh

OS X (OS 10.1.5 or Later)

PCL 5e/6: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP

Windows NT 4.0/Server 2003

Citrix MetaFrame

From http://www.canon.com/technology/canon_tech/explanation/hspeed_processing.html

Canon developed a new printing algorithm, called Ultra Fast Rendering (UFR), that increases print speeds by shifting much of the printdata processing work to a PC. With this bold new approach, most of the printing functions are taken care of by the CPU in the iR controller, which is mounted onto a purpose-built IC.

// back to rick

I'm not sure how this all fits together but I know the two models Chuck and I are talking about use the same internal architecture from Canon.

We have a different model in canons iR C range and have had a mixture of issues with it including one similar to yours.

See if you can get your hands on the PPD's files for the printer. I've found this driver works better on both PPC and intel Macs. The print driver should just have the model number and not have "canon PS" after the name.

We have since spoken to a few Canon tech-heads and discovered that the large-format plotters are generally installed with an EFI Fiery board as they are printing graphics, CAD plans, etc. for much of the time. The Fiery board is apparently a far more powerful board and therefore much quicker.

Our Canon IR C3100 does not have a Fiery board. This may explain why it struggles to print complex drawings.