Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Dude, where's my plug-in?

Petri

Hi Petri,

If you tire of navigating to two plug-in folders, put an alias of your User Plug-In folder in your VW application plug-in folder, then you only have to go to one place to find them all. If you put a space before the alias name it will always show at the top of the list when sorted by name.

" Plug-Ins" is my alias, but you can call yours " Preciousss" if you likes.

HTH,

Raymond

Yesss, but...

OK, Programs -folder is Read Only for Joe Average. OK, Joe may be a Prolific Author of Essential Plug-Ins. But he may be Joe Forgetful or Joe Sloppy in his spare time.

Is there the possibility that the Greatest Plug-In after the famous (and mostly harmless) Bread Slicer Tool cannot be used by Mrs Joe, who shares the Puter with Joe? Can she add Coffee Making procedure to the tool?

OSX rocks ... you can set file Permissions to be inclusive, exclusive or inherit the Permissions of the directories based on Groups.

rwx = read write execute. Plug-in Directory is normally set to secure 700 > drwx ( User admin access only )

whereas , 775 is full access to everyone. 644 >755 provides limited access to rwx and some range of security.

Select File > 'command-i' to view & set the permissions

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Petri,

I have to agree with you. I don't like the User library idea either.

I have the " preciousss" folder in my Plugins folder, nut still endup with two plug-ins with the same name.

BTW, Not giving full access to the VW application folder for Mrs Joe will cause VW to behave strangely. When she is trying to use it.

When I come acreos a Puter that has mulit usewrs I always give all users full access to the VW folder.

Gerard

Why disable aliases?

Do you realize that the use of aliases would allow a network sharing of plug-ins?

After all they get loaden once and then no more.

If one do not reset them continuously. As we do. smile.gif

It could be so:

1 admin (Gandalf) takes care of general setting, developing in the preciousss folder, on a server

Clients load an alias to the precioussss folder. Eventual contemporary loading of a Plug-in could be dealt with by a try loop. If the plug-in is busy because is currently readen by another VW launching, wait 5 seconds, then retry.

This thread is almost as old as the introduction of plug-ins.

How is the future of Network sharing planned?

Orso