Constant Crashes

I am using VW 12.5.0 (Design Series) on a Mac PowerBook G4 (OS 10.3.9, 1.33 GHz, 512 RAM). I have been using VW for only a month or so, but find that it crashes all the time. I just would like to see if other users of OS 10.3.9 have had a similar problem.

Specifically, the program seems to crash when I am doing an alteration, for instance, when I try to design a new 2D symbol for a plant, insert a plant symbol into a design layer, insert a note into a design layer, or do a Batch PDF export. At least those are the four times I have experienced so far.

Has anyone else had such consistent crash experince?

I have sent the crash reports to VW tech support but no answer back from them yet.

Marc

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Katie;

When you say run Disk Utility, do you mean Repair Disk Permissions?

I run DU only occasionaly but I have a feeling that it is not the problem (although I'm running it right now to test things). VW was crashing right from the start and a problem with VW disk permissions would only build up over time -- is that not correct?

Marc

No, not necessarily. Disk Utility should be run on a regular basis. I run it every 2-3 weeks. It should also be run every time new software is installed as well as when the OS is updated.

You'll find less crashing problems under OS 10.4, due to stability advancements in the operating system.

With that said, if it's only happening in one file or is regularly duplicatable with a specific object, then there's likely something in the file or with the specific object.

Traditionally, something like redraw or changing the size of an object is related to the video settings, of which Disk Utility will put all the files in line.

When running Disk Utility, you should always start with verify disk permissions and then run repair disk permissions.

i have had inordinate number of crashes since 12.0.1. no rhymne or reason. happes often when opgl is used to render / happens when saving / happens when duplicating/ just anytime . the program has also turned to a slug. i have to admit not running disk utilities. i just had a problem with a drawing not going to perspective when asked. ran d.u. it was fine.

Hi Katie;

I ran DU, doing a verification and then a repair. There didn't seem to be anything abut Vectorworks in the comments.

In any case, after running DU, I tested VW by trying to make a custom plant symbol. As before, as soon as I tried to save the modifications.... VW crashed. It seems every time I make a modification to a symbol (title block, plant, etc) VW crashes. What could be going on?

Marc

Hi Katie;

I get no message on the screen. The lolipop begins to swirl and then VW crashes. A crash report appears and I have saved about 10 of those as MS Word files. I have sent them to VW Tech over the past two weeks. I suppose they may be reviewing them. I have not heard back.

I tried a test of the Plant modification in blank document. I went to Site Planning in tool sets and chose Place Plant. Clicked on the Settings Button and then on New Plant. Modified the data as needed in Definition, Attributes, Render and Defaults, but when I went to save the information, VW crashed.

Sometimes it crashes just when I click New Plant!!

I have had similar experience with modifying Title Blocks, Notes, and even when trying to make batch PDF files.

Marc

Okay - so when you say it "crashes", the program just disappears?

Have you tried uninstall and reinstalling VW and/or deleting the preferences files?

If you can send one of those crash logs directly to me, I'll see what I can make out of it.

Yes. I'm not sure that "crash" is the right term but the lolipop spins as if its processing something, and then VW shuts down. I lose whatever data hasn't been saved in the file.

I have not tried an unistall reinstall. I just got the program a month ago and figured it hadn't had time to corrupt yet. Is there an automated uninstall on the installer?

I will send the past few crash reports to you at: katie@nemetschek.net

Thank you for helping out.

Marc

I am having a similar problem (XP, VW12.5). I have not established a discernable pattern, but occasionally the program just vanishes. I lose anything not saved, and do not get any program error or message. Just gone. I open again, and maybe 5-10 minutes later it happens again. My actions tend toward importing lighting symbols, creating lighting objects, rotating, typical editing operations. I updated to 12.5 maybe 3-4weeks ago. Thank you for your help!

Mpkeane -

I received your crash logs. Once we figured what was causing the crash log, we sent the info to an engineer. As soon as I hear something, I'll let you know.

FCD -

When was the last time you updated your video driver?

As long as we are on this crashing thing.... I will send you by email reports from my crashes on placing notes and making batch PDFs. I would be interested to see if it's all the same source problem.

With PDFs, if I try to export a single PDF there is no problem. If I choose Batch PDF, however, I get the window asking for me to select files in which I Add All. When I click Export (unlike the single PDF export which gives a window asking for where I want to save the file), there is no reaction. The window closes and that's it. If I try again, VW crashes.

All for now.

Marc

This may, or may not be relevant. Fro several months I have had regular VW crashes, with no particular pattern but often when rendering. Then in a Mac OS forum I found an item where trouble was caused by a high drain USB device such as a scanner or fax. My Mac was connected through a hub to a multi-function printer/scanner/fax so over a week ago I disconnected it. I have not crashed since.

Referring to video cards, the ATI website points out that Mac OS 10.4x has the latest drivers built-in, so if you keep the OS updated the driver is also covered.

Hope this helps