Improved roof object

P Retondo

Question

A few things would increase the usefulness of the roof object:

The roof is generated from a polygon. If that shape could be edited after the roof is generated, in the same way that extrudes are edited, it would be easier to make adjustments.

Gable end walls take the texture of the roof. Since that almost never happens, it would be great to have gable end walls textured separately in the same way that the right and left sides of walls can be. Same for the wall elements of dormers.

Fascias are composed of NURBS objects. It appears to me that they could be just as easily composed of a polygonal extrude, and as extrudes would be much easier to edit when the roof is ungrouped.

3 answers to this question

As the various tools evolve there seems to be an effort at NNA to convert all 'Low-level' objects into 'High-level' objects . Witness the changes in the door & window tools over the last 3 versions. Before too long the Roof Procedures will be NURBS based high-level and only editable via the OIP eventually access to the 2D reshape will be eliminated.

Thanks for comments. Mike, I was aware of that option, but to my mind editing the 2d poly is quicker, and would add consistency to the way various objects are treated.

Islandmon, I think that one of VW's unique advantages is the power of the 2d/3d precision interface, and the relationship between 2d primitives and 3d objects is a key aspect of this interface. It's simple and intuitive, and I would rather see convergence on how this has worked so well in the past. I see the power of NURBS to be in the simplification of complex 3d objects, in terms of both memory and manipulation, but NURBS tends to be a strictly 3d thing. That's my frustration with working with Rhino - great 3d stuff, but often the precision control that comes from interfacing with a 2d environment is lacking.

To put it more conceptually, VW has mastered the 2.5d environment, but I don't see the concept applied as fully as it could be.