Sheet Layers to Design Layers

In VW 12.5 is there a why to export a Sheet Layer to a file that looks like my original sheet layer, but without sheet layers and all the things I can't see in my sheet? I mean something like have a Design Layer for every viewport and cut all it's outside from used viewports from visible sheetlayer.

To understand better wath I mean, I need to give some sheets to pepole that use VectorWorks 10, and they must can modify the files.

If there's not this possibilitty, I think it's a lack of VectorWorks because it can be useful for a lot of other case. What do you mean?

I'm no authority on VW beyond 9, but...

Viewports are just a way of looking at the model. They were introduced in VW 11, I think. Your VW 10 users are able to modify the file (model, data - whatever you call it.) You are then able to open te file with VW 11 or VW 12. With clever use of Workgroup Referencing, your viewports will be intact.

You cannot export features to a version that does not support them.

Edited by Petri

What I want, is to have a VectorWorks file that looks like a Sheet Layer, but cutting away all I can't see in the sheet. On my mind, this can be a usefull way to extract portions from great models (like country or regional maps), and the best way to export ready sheets to people that can't use linked Sheet and Model.

Viewports can be converted to group...

It doesn't work in my case. If I try to convert to group I've a massage that says "Only rendered, updated viewport can be converted to groups.".

And in any case it seems not to be simple job, to create 8 or 10 (from the same number of sheets) files with until 15 viewport for each!

I think that the option to create a "model-space only" file from any sheet (somthing like you create PDF's) can be very usefull (I was hoping it exist).

Borgo - I'm sorry if that came off the wrong way. Please understand where I am coming from in that a) that shouldn't be happening and b) a common mistake that people make is using group rather than convert to group.

I was doing my job to completely understand the issue.

If you want, send the file to tech@nemetschek.net along with the message and someone can take a look at the file.

Hi Katie,

Not sure if this is the same question as the one intended by Borgo:

No, it's not wath I asked, but can be a alternative

Is there a way of exporting the Sheet layer from VW 12.5 with the other Design layers for use in VW 10.5? Normal export will do all layers except the Sheet.

I hoped there's a simple way to get single files that look exactly like a sheet layer. So if I work with sheet's I've a simple way to pass may layouts to people that work with older VW or other CAD's that don't support viewports. If VW can export single sheet layers to VW12 files looking exactly like the original sheet (cutting away all thing is not visible), we can re-open it and export the file to any other format supported by VectorWorks 12, and be pretty sure to give away files that look like they should.