List of all commands & tools & workspaces

Petri

Question

It would be hugely helpful to have an (editable, ie. text file) list of the commands and tools in each of the supplied workspace. I am continually trying to find commands and tools and there doesn't even seem to be a workspace with "everything".

"Auto-documenting" would be a nice feature for the Workspace Editor.

12 answers to this question

If you search for workspace in the help menu, you will find a number of links that list the menus and tools for each of the industry specific workspace.

You are right, a workspace with everything does not exist. This is done on purpose for a few reasons. One reason is that an "everything" workspace would over-clutter the screen with tools and menus that you may never need.

The other reason is for legacy purposes. Legacy tools (ones that have been changed and improved over the years) are included for backwards compatibility. It is unecessary for these legacy tools to be part of anyone's workspace. There may be a few exceptions to that, but 99% of them should stay out of usable workspaces.

If you search for workspace in the help menu, you will find a number of links that list the menus and tools for each of the industry specific workspace.

Yes, but they aren't ideal for locating a particular tool or command. I guess I have to create a useful list myself, like this:

Open Rezilla. Open a workspace. Open resource group GSTx. Select all. Say New. Paste. Go back. Open resource group hmnu. Select all. Go to the new resource file. Paste. Export as text. Close both files. Repeat until EOW.

Import into FileMaker one at a time. Use replace to add workspace name to all. Repeat until EOSF. Use Find to filter out irrelevant stuff. Sort by workspace & type. Print.

Doable, but something of a waste of time.

You are right, a workspace with everything does not exist. This is done on purpose for a few reasons. One reason is that an "everything" workspace would over-clutter the screen with tools and menus that you may never need.

True, but such a beast would help at least trainers, consultants and CAD-managers. Paring down a workspace is a lot easier than adding things to one.

"Yes, but they aren't ideal for locating a particular tool or command. I guess I have to create a useful list myself, like this: "

So are you asking for reference when someone is using VW to have a cheat sheet of what menu/palette a menu or tool resides in, or is it for workspace editing/creation?

(This is to narrow down the wish list so I can add it to the wish list database)

So are you asking for reference when someone is using VW to have a cheat sheet of what menu/palette a menu or tool resides in, or is it for workspace editing/creation?

Both, I would say. For users, a cheat sheet; for managers etc. a planning tool.

I used to have copies of all "my" users' workspaces, but with tens of them, it was still quite a hunt. So, this "autodocumenting" would be the best solution: "Export Workspace configuration as text" and the result would be a data file like this:

workspace_name, item_type, menu_or_palette, position, item

on the subject of workspaces, is there a way to rename menu items?

Some bright individual decided to rename 'Page Setup' to 'Printer Setup', in VW 12. The 'Page Setup' command now brings up the 'Set Print Area' dialog.

Since the 'Page Setup' command opens the printer's page setup in every Macintosh application ever created, this is confusing our longtime Mac users.

I realize it's a small thing, but consistency is a big part of why we prefer Macs over PC-s, so I'd like to be able to change it back to normal.

Quote:

"The other reason is for legacy purposes. Legacy tools (ones that have been changed and improved over the years) are included for backwards compatibility. It is unecessary for these legacy tools to be part of anyone's workspace. There may be a few exceptions to that, but 99% of them should stay out of usable workspaces."

Well, that's understandeble, but I'm also trying to make a good workspace and maybe it will be helpfull if there was a workspace with all tools and menus that can be used in the latest version, so that those that only in vw to provide backword compatibility are not in it. it will be a big help, so that the user only needs to delete those menus and tools they don't need.

Some bright individual decided to rename 'Page Setup' to 'Printer Setup', in VW 12. The 'Page Setup' command now brings up the 'Set Print Area' dialog.

Since the 'Page Setup' command opens the printer's page setup in every Macintosh application ever created, this is confusing our longtime Mac users

Steve Jobs would go ballistic over this ... ; )

While Windows GUI is becoming more Mac-like ... the menus of premiere Mac apps are now using Win nomenclature ... gofigure.