Dimensioning hardscapes

ALA

How does one dimension hardscape objects? I use the "compose" feature to group lines, etc. and then use the convert to polylines to create a hardscape object. When I attempt to dimension hardscapes with the radial dimension tool on arcs, circles, etc., it does not work. confused.gif

Probably if you have converted everything to polys dimensions will no longer work with arcs, circles and the like.

Work around would be to build everything in arcs or whatever, copy to another class - back to the original and create your Hardscape then do your dimensioning off the copied originals

I gather that a Hardscape Object becomes a polygon, ie. loses any arcs. Nevertheless, radial dimensioning is not ideal for the site anyway, especially if you do not define the centre of the arc, the location of which is what you should primarily dimension.

I have many times redimensioned a project, after discussing with the site personnel about the approach; no big deal, really. The new gadgets (laser devices) also seem to make a difference.

I have been a registered landscape architect since 1974 (you do the math) and I have always dimensioned arcs and circles from radius point locations along with the radius of the object. I specialize in high-end residential design and the contractors expect the radius point locations along with the radius to be dimensioned. When you are trying to scribe an eight foot radius on the site you do not use a laser device. Let's get real! Back to my original question: Does the "delete source poly" option at the beginning of hardscape creation allow a work-around for this obvious oversight of the program? Why create a hardscape object in a CAD program used to provide information for construction when you cannot dimension that object and convey that information to the field personnel? It is great for presentation purposes to the client but it isn't worth a dime when you are trying to create construction documents!

Edited by ALA

Fine, my young friend! As you seem to be taking your first steps in landscape design (yes, I did the maths), bear in mind that some of us do not do domestic gardens. It's a great start for a young person, though.

Obviously the standards in education have dramatically dropped since my Uni years - well, it was another country, too. You don't know trig, do you? Well, whatever: your bucket-and-shovel contractor of the high-end McMansion needs dimensions to the arc centre, to put in a peg for his measurement string.

That you can determine without the arc. The radius you may just be able to type.

Anyway, choose your dimensioning from this:

HZ315433.png

When you grow up and learn, you may even understand.

Edited by Petri

Petri:

Please read my original post. Draw a series of poly lines and arcs and convert it to a hardscape object. The hardscape object apparently loses all associations to arcs in that they cannot be dimensioned with the dimension tool in the radius mode. I tend to agree with landscapes down under in that you must create a copy of the hardscape object using only arcs, lines, polylines, etc. in order to dimension the radius points because they are eliminated by the hardscape conversion.

Ala,

I can understand your frustration. You are working away and expect things to work as you expect them to work and then they do not - meaning you have to redo things to obtain YOUR desired result. I too found out about this a while ago. That was my work around. Pity you did not know first which would save the drama.

Petri,

I do not know you but value your knowledge and input. I am a newbie here too. I am going to be in trouble here I know but who gives a .

I do not think we should have a go at each other. I thought we were here trying to help each other confused.gif

Yes, this is of course a problem, as I tried to explain orogonally. Radii cannot be dimensioned simply.

One can draw an arc or one can "construct" the arc centre with Edge Snaps (bisector). Both are clumsy and error-prone methods. Therefore it may be more productive to use another approach, ie. dimension what one can (straight sections, if any) and type the radii as text. Radii can be found in the object info, by clicking through vertices.

Anyway, contractors do like to know the locations of arc centres for their pegs. If they know the straight section dimensions and arc centres, radii are known, dimensioning them is in fact redundant.

If you delete the source poly, it will delete the polyline used to create the hardscape. If you leave the poly, the poly sits behind the hardscape.

If it's a polygon, it is difficult to dimension the arc part of the shape. If it's a polyline, I think that's a little easier.

• 5 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hmm- I've come into this a little late - but it seems to me that the answer has to be to retain the underlying polygon... You can dimension this and then copy all of the underlying polys onto a new layer for your setting out plan.

Me - I'm struggling with rendering hardscape once it in is in 3D mode...

Tamsin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks Jonathan

Any brilliant suggestions on rendering hardscape objects in 3D views? Anything set in 2D seems to vanish. Unlike wall objects which can have textures applied in 3D views, hardscapes seem to just sit there and stare at me in bland greyness.. I'd be grateful for any suggestions - even if it's just "RTFM".

Thanks