Old "dead" sections

I would like to be able to do a section to a design layer and convert to lines. I have one that needs too much editing to cover everything up.

If I convert the section VP to lines on the sheet I can't dimension correctly. If I move the conversion to a design layer it's very small.

I guess this is a strange problem but I would like to have the old way back in some cases.

Does anyone know a way to create a hidden line section to a design layer?

Thanks,

The old 'cut 2D section' tool is still in VW12. I found it in the 'Architect Classic' workspace under the 'model' menu. Or you could use the workspace editor to add the tool to the current workspace.

About converting viewports to lines. Sheet layers are 1:1 so if you convert the vp to lines and paste it into a design layer, just scale the group appropiately. If the vp was at 1/4"=1", scale the group of lines 1/48 in the design layer.

Larry - I have just had a similar problem. The Structural Engineers (VW users) complained vehemently that the Viewport larger plans, elevations and sections were useless to them. I have had to convert everything in the project back to just 2D, including the plans.

I used:

- The Model View tool for the elevations and then converted these to lines.

- Cut 3D Section for the sections and converted these to lines.

It has taken several days to do this, but they are happy now.

Part of the issue was that their Mac computers don't have the grunt to Hidden Line render the Elevation and Section Viewports. The biggest part of the problem though was they weren't used to working with a 3D model and definitley didn't want to get out of their comfort zone. All they wanted was 2D base drawings to work on top of. Trying to convince them to work in the annotation portion of the elevation and section viewports was impossible. The size ot the building also posed problems for them (229 m x 98 m overall) so splitting up the plan also became a necessity.

There have been some lessons in this for me. In my enthusiasm for 3D modelling the building I lost sight of the needs of the other team members. In particular their desire to have 'conventional' 2D drawings to work with. Overcoming this 2D mindset and getting Enginners to embrace 3D may be a real impediment to getting BIM accepted.

Mike, my structural guy works (and mostly thinks) in 2d as well. But he really values the 3d shots I include along with. It allows him (and me, and especially the clients) to "see" it like never before. I would never go back. In fact, VW's 3d modeling has allowed me to do more than a few complicated, angled, intersecting roof designs I would have never even considered. Now if we could only get those 3d holographic image projectors out t the boys in the field...

Edited by CipesDesign

Peter, don't get me wrong. 3D is the future, and everyone was impressed with the real views of the project because it allowed them to see what it is actually like.

The problem with all of the engineering consultants is that their normal mode of working is 2D 'electronic drafting'. All they really want are architectural backgrounds that they can use to develop their work over. Their expectation is that I will spoon feed them with these, which is what I have ended up having to do.

Its frustrating for me as I have now lost all of the benefits of having a model with views generated from it. My recent experience of modeling is that the engineers are reluctant to embrace it as a concept because they cannot see benefits to them, only more work.

Edited by mike m oz

Hi Larry

The really simple way is to

1 Select section Viewport and use convert copy to lines ( hidden line render) this is almost instant as it uses the save viewport cache ( if you have it selected in preferances )

2 Paste in Design layer and use scale object ( viewport is 1:1 ) , so if you need it @ 1:100 scale by X 100. Design layer should be set at 1:100 before you paste.

This is much much faster than the old cut 3d section, and allows you to use the updated Viewport repaste, if you make changes.