Wall Components Changing

bryn

I am having a problem with the line weights changing after I edit a wall style or create a new one. It's usually the two outside lines (outside left and outside right), and they change after exiting the wall style edit dialog. I've tried creating a wall style in a blank document, but that one also changes. It doesn't seem to be affected by the setting in the line style palette at the time the wall is drawn. A search of this forum didn't show anyone else with the problem, so I have no clue where to look next. How do I control the weights other than through the wall style dialog?

bryn

G4/800 dual

OS 10.4.8

1.25GB RAM

VW 12.5

The attributes palette is gray and can't be used when I select a wall that's already drawn. Changing the attribute before drawing a wall doesn't affect any of the lines in that wall. The "use at creation" box is checked under the wall's class, so which lines of the components are affected by the class settings? I don't see any change to a component line weight when I change the class setting and draw a wall from that class.

bryn

G4/800 dual

OS 10.4.8

1.25GB RAM

VW 12.5

Bryn,

There are several places that the wall line weights are defined. Check these areae for possibilities that you are defaulting too.

1.) Resource Browser>Walls Styles>(the wall in question)>Edit Wall Style>Wall Definition>Component Edit>Wall Attributes...

If you select "Class Attributes" the wall line weights in 2D will follow the class the wall is inserted to. Otherwise the Fill Color and Pen Weight can be assigned here.

2.) Edit Wall Style>Insert Options>Class...here is the class that your wall will drop when inserted by default regardless of what the active class is.

3.)Also note that if you default to class attributes the 3D display will default to whatever you have the class set up with.

Hope this helps.

Pete A.

So when I go into the edit wall style dialog, I have a list of components like: Wall, 1" component, 1/2" component, 3-1/2" component and 1/2" component. I have been setting my line weights here for each of the components. I had not clicked on "Wall" to edit it until Pete pointed it out. In that dialog, I do not have "use class attributes" checked, but the line weight that keeps showing up is set for pen style. Does this setting override the individual component line weights?

bryn

G4/800 dual

OS 10.4.8

1.25GB RAM

VW 12.5

Bryn,

In the Edit Wall Style dialog under the Wall Definition tab each wall with its individual components have line weight and fill setting available. It can be a little confusing but it is very logical to the systems 2D and 3D display.

The "Wall" in the components window when edited will have what I mentioned before...Use Class Attributes...or set the Fill and Pen desired...this will set the 3D display default. Now each component you add will have an edit available also....allowing you to set the "Width", "Fill" and "Line Style"...these will affect the 2D display in plan....

Once set unless you override with "Use Class Attributes" are the default characteristics of the wall display and any setting to the class graphic attributes set in the organization dialog will only affect items other than walls dropped in that class.....say for instance you put a polygon on the wall class it will show the class attributes and not the wall attributes unless you have set them up with identical characteristics.

Do some experimenting with a simple two line wall....and make sure you set it up with a single component and then drop that wall to a class with no other graphics...then change the attributes under the resource edit of that wall....when prompted to update the wall....just do it...and see what happens...view it in 3D and turn on display line weights in the options dialog.

Pete A.

Bryn,

I am having a problem which may be related to yours, although for me it arises with the window and door PIO tool. I am having trouble controlling the line weights of the window components, in particular, the wall lines in the window, and the jambs. I have been able to control them previously in the past.

Even if I open an old document, with the windows and wall lines as I like them, and simply select the window and make any change, even to the window type, the lines all go thick. Does this seem similar to your problem?

Has anyone else experienced such a glitch?

CharlesJ, I was having the same problem with the door and window pio settings not holding the line weights I set for the parts. I am compulsive (almost obsessive) about line weights in my drawings. At this point, I have returned completely to 2D drawing so that I can finish the jobs I have started. The 3D renderings were beautiful and revealing, but completely rendering a 5,000 sq. ft., multi-level home, within the time demands of a paying client is just not reasonable, yet; at least, in my office.

bryn

G4/800 dual

OS 10.4.8

1.25GB RAM

VW 12.5

Charlie,

Well, I will definitely give that a try and see what happens. Thanks!

Sorry to be 'off-thread' here but another problem I was having was a class is being created called 'floor plan only' and the things that should be going in the sills class, the jambs, e.g., are ending up there. Does that ring any bells?

Charles