Section viewports slow

We're working through a large residential project in Design Development, and taking section viewports of a 3D model to generate building sections and elevations. The site is large and complex enough that ther are a fair number of 3D polys, and the building has two main wings set 65? apart, with a shallow barrel roof in one case, and a flat roof in others--in short a fairly demanding model but not (IMHO) hugely so.

We have thus far set up 6 sections, and are finding the machine is now very slow (brand new Intel core Duo 2 iMac, 1 GB RAM). Even moving a vewort on the page is painfully slow.

Questions:

--does anyone have any tips on speeding up hidden-line Section Viewports (other than turning off polygons)?

--will more RAM make a substantial difference (we have an aditional 1GB on order)?

Any suggestions welcome!

Well I feel a little foolish. First, I didn't realize that I was running 12.0 on an Intel machine--I thought it was already upgraded to 12.5! Secondly, I set my 3D resolution to Low (from High). Finally, I traced the building footprint, offset it by 5', and used that polygon to clip the DTM, vastly reducing the number of 3D polys (and elminating many that I did not need anyway for those viewports anyway).

I haven't quantified it, but the same section viewports which I created in 12.0.1 on a G4 (and were full of complex 3D polys) render much faster when I open them in 12.5 on an Intel Mac.

As a feeling, ie qualitatively ;-), it went frum painfully slow, to pleasantly quick. ;-)

Peter - I went from a G4 laptop to the new 24"imac with 2GB of RAM. Good machine.

I had a project which the G4 was struggling on. Took forever to render the Section Viewports and was struggling with the Renderworks bitmap renders. It works on the Intel Mac and I have been pleasantly surprised with the speed improvements.

Just to test it out I tried an Artistic Renderworks render. I had the Activity Monitor going and was surprised to see that even with 2 GB of RAM it was still using 2+ GB of virtual memory as well. Moral to story - Get as much RAM as you can and make sure you have plenty of free space on your hard drive (that may have been the biggest problem with the laptop).

Edited by mike m oz