Texturing DTM's

azizg

Question

I've spent a lot of time over the last couple of days trying to find ways of texturing a DTM model, and there seems no easy way of doing it.

We need a new modifier tool. However not a DTM modifier which is prone to problems, uses a lot of ram and can be complicated to use. We need a render works modifier to use with the DTM.

If we could creat 2D (or 3D) polygons when in 2D plan projection which we could apply textures to, so that when in 3D those textures (not the polygons) are projected straight up onto the surface of the DTM.

I don't know what the normal type of land is, but I'm working in the jungle and on hills in Thailand. Where I work we have big boulders, streams, natural foot paths that pass through the land and other features which are all included in the topographical data that I have. I don't need to alter the DTM to add these features, I just need to paint them on to the surface.

from what I've read the "texture bed" "site modifier" does some thing similar, however it changes the DTM shape (which can cause problems and errors) and besides I couldn't get it to work in any of the situations I tried it in.

Even in situations where the "site modifiers" are the best option, this method of painting on a texture can still be used as a quick way of working in the concept stage before commiting the time needed to do it properly after a decision has been made on direction.

so how about it?

A DTM renderworks "modifier"?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet