Dimension text

Ray - Flip text is okay as long as you are willing to accept the text being upside down in a horizontal string. It happens irrespective of whether you have the Adjust Flipped Text VW Preference on or off. Same problem occurs with Vertical text - the text is the opposite way around.

Tsquared - change the Text Offset on the OIP. A negative value will move it below the line.

Other programs have dimensioning which automatically resolves text clashes by moving the text to appropriate locations. Why can't we have it?

If you just want it for selected instances you can select the dimension objects and adjust the "Text Off:" parameter in the OIP to a negative number. If you want it to be a permanent feature, then create a custom dimension standard. I'm not good at this, so check the manual or seek further help from a more qualified source.

Raymond

• 9 years later...

Hi.

Now poster to an old thread here but I have a related problem...

I am also looking for a way for dimensions always to be towards the 'outside'. I have been doing this manually when needed by adjusting the "Text Off" parameter when needed. I am fine with the doing it on a case-by-case basis however as soon as I open the custom dimensions dialogue box (either through the OIP, or through Document Settings > Dimensions> Custom Button, all manually entered dimension text offsets are cleared! All dimension text reverts to its original side of the dimension line on all design layers within the file.

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I do not think there is a way to force a dimension style to place the text at a specific offset to the left or right from center, but I will double check.

However, I am not able to replicate the resetting of the offset value by editing the custom dimension standards settings, dims here in a test file keep their custom offsets. What version of Vectorworks are you seeing this in? And are you on Mac or Windows? (similar info to what you see in my signature)

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, its more the resetting of the 'Text Off.' parameter that is the problem for me. Until I find a fix I am a bit stuck on updating dimensions in my drawings..

Vectorworks 2014 (Build 201263)

Mac OSX 10.10.5

Mac mini (Late 2014); 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sure to download and install the last service pack (SP5) we released for 2014:

http://www.vectorworks.net/downloads/ServicePack?major=2014&servicepack=5&language=1

It seems to be working properly in 2016 and 2015, but I am not sure at what point it was fixed. This SP may correct it, but if not, then unfortunately it may not have been fixed until a later version. In any case the update is a good idea to try first.

• Like 1