Materials

There are two materials I?d like to make:

1. Brushed steel: I?ve tried the anisotrpic, brushed setting under reflection in the edit texture dialog, but this seems to be just a variety of specular reflection which works only on the light sources, (maybe I haven?t got the settings right but I?ve got better results with phong, then at least you get a highlight spot for each light source) What I need is real blurred reflection so I tried to use mirror for reflection and add a noise image to the bump channel. This certainly gives an irregular reflection but when I tried to reduce the scale of the bump to imitate the microscopic patterns that makes blurry reflections in the real world it didn?t have any effect. Down to a certain level the scale can?t be reduced anymore and the results get coarse and grainy. Is the an other way?

2. White glass: I would like to make a lamp shade made of white glass so that when I put a point light inside the glass will glow, more close to the light and less furter away. I had not thougt it would be possible (it seems to involve both subsurface scattering, which is not supported as far as I know, and an area light to pass the light on to the surroundings) had I not seen it on the VW 12 feature demos: Radiosity movie. On the first render the room is almost black, but yuo can see the glow of the bulb through the blue glass shade. What?s the trick?

Hans Jakob

Hello Hans:

1. This will be difficult to do, the best way would probably be to use an image of a brushed material for the color and the anisotropic, brushed shader for the reflectivity. The blurred reflections can only be done by what you've already tried. We have requested this kind of blurred relflection from LightWorks; they would have to create a new kind of shader to do it.

2. Create a texture using Translucency for the relfectivity shader, and set it to not cast shadows. Apply it to your lamp shade object. Any lights behind the shade will light it up. This looks best with a Sharp distance falloff (like in the real world); if you use sharp fallof you will need to use an emitter value for the brightness or bump up the brightness percent value much higher, and/or use the auto exposure feature in the Custom RW options.

HTH,

Dave Donley

dave@nemetschek.net

Blurred reflections: Do they have that already? There?s an image in the ligtworks gallery http://www.lightworkdesign.com/gallery.php?bigimg=indtbx_lucchetti_640

that doesn?t look so bad. Is this the same "LightWorks" that is used in RenderWorks? They write on their Industrial toolbox page that "Over 20 shaders like decal, draft angle evaluation, knurl, multi-layer paint, translucent plastic, and anisotropic metals give users access to the 300+ materials contained in the 'Industrial Materials' pre-defined LWA archives." http://www.lightworkdesign.com/products/indtbx.htm

This image was done by using a rough bump shader with very small bumps. I thought you had tried that but re-reading your post it says you tried an image bump shader. Try either the wrapped rough or wrapped leather shaders with very small scale values - maybe you can get a decent look that way. I have done this before but there are limits to what it can give you; the smearing effect might not be enough to simulate frosted glass or a scuffed veneer or something like that.

RW includes the "Industrial Toolbox" procedural shaders mentioned. We do not support the LWA archive format. This is a continuing wish.

HTH,

Dave Donley

dave@nemetschek.net

Edited by Dave_Donley_At_Home