the most basic of questions

azizg

What is the best way of drawing beams in my model. I have been using walls which allow me to apply a render component. However in plan you can't see the the render component because it's below a slab so it doesn't matter. And in section VW doesn't show the components of a wall. Also the beam (wall object) interfear and make it a bit tricky apply the actual wall (another wall object below the beam)

I just wanted to find out how other people drew their beams, and if I was missing some realy easy way of drawing them.

Looking forward to hearing other peoples techniques.

thanks

For each component part which requires an elevation change I create a dedicated Design Layer; S-FTG-1, S-FNDN-1, S-Slab-1,

S-Wall-1, S-Beam-1,S-Roof-1, etc.

Then the Layers can be Modeled; MOD-S-1-All, or MOD-S-1-Frame, etc.

This allows for mix and match in the Viewports and the use of Layer Overlay&Paint, as well.

Islandmon,

I have given some consideration to placing a higher priority on layers relative to elevation heights. This would provide a elevation layer for each component within a floor level that shares the plan level but not the "Z" space. In trying to understand the logical order of elevations it appears that I would be creating a number of design layers to build a true "Z" model. I could seperate the plates from the studs and beams from walls, however I might just use a layer for one object which may increase the overall size of the database.

How deep have you gone into the abyss of layers verses classes? And...have you utilized just adjusting components within a minor layer structure to preserve a minimal structure.

With over (on average) thousands of objects drawn into a model is it wise to use the layer structure?

Maybe you could group similar object items...such as structural beam and columns to specific layers thereby minimizing the overal information to fewer layers.

Pete A.

Why not just draw a rectangle on the framing layer, extrude it or use AEC/Floor for depth (so it will be solid in Open GL) and give it a Z coordinate? It can have it's own class or even layer oif you want to keep it out of certain drawings, but this lets you have a beam and see it too.

Drawing custom end treatments is still an issue.

Also, there is a Framing Member tool in the Detailing tool set.

How deep have you gone into the abyss of layers verses classes? And...have you utilized just adjusting components within a minor layer structure to preserve a minimal structure.

With over (on average) thousands of objects drawn into a model is it wise to use the layer structure?

Maybe you could group similar object items...such as structural beam and columns to specific layers thereby minimizing the overal information to fewer layers.

Admittedly, Layering is not ideal but it sure offers advantages when it comes to WGR.

Also, isolating components by elevation is highly beneficial for Stacking. The over all object count is minimized by absolute reliance on symbols for each and every component part of the structure. Pre-defined Classes then control all the various attributes as well as work with Viewports for presentation.

Since all projects are set-up the same way, compiling the parts via WGR is relatively straight forward. Also, if one Layer needs to be cut/copied out & 'reworked' ( ie. DTM), it can be isolated via WGR and re-imported into the structure later.

Azizg,

Jonathan a.k.a. Archoncad has the correct way to work. If you use the Joist Object or Steel Beam Object tools in the detailing tool set you get properly sized beams and they render, show up in live sections, etc. as you want them. You can even apply wood grain or other textures to them. Other tools, like the roof framing tool (AEC>Framing?>Roof Framer produce the same kinds of objects. When laying out floor joists use the AEC>Framing?>Joists from polygon tool to get your floor joists layout real fast. Then you can use the OIP to edit them singly or to make a particular change to the group as a whole. While the Framer tool makes the initial layout based on a generic rectangular section, using the OIP you can reset the entire group if joists to common lumber sizes, glulams, steel joists, etc., all of which can be colored or textured.

I hope this info helps you.

B. Clyde Beck