NURBS Cylinder

AndyM

I have am finally getting the opportunity to learn some of the 3d power pack tools. I am trying to make a cylinder with a smooth rounded top. I started with an ellipse, extruded it and converted it to nurbs. Then I selected the center vertex of the top surface and moved it up to get the curvature. This happens.

-

The outside ring of the ellipse is no longer touching the rest of the object.

How can I have this be a solid object with nice smooth edges and no "holes"?

I was originally going to start with an elliptical sphere and subtract solids from that, but I can't figure out a way to make an elliptical sphere either.

Any tips appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

The easiest way to do it would be to extract the curve from the top of the cylinder. Duplicate that curve and move it up in the z direction and scale it to about 50%. Then place a 3-D locus at the apex of the dome. Then use the loft tool to connect the 3 objects together. If the dome is too tall you can simply look at it in elevation and grab the middle selection handle on the top and drag it down.

I hope this makes sense.

Good Luck

This exact shape was discussed recently at http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=002131 . The advice for reading the thread is to ignore my posts and read Mike's.

The summary is to use 3D PP's half sphere tool to get a hemisphere of the right diameter. Convert to nurbs. Squash the hemi- to set the ellipse minor axis. Then extract the bottom curve, move it to the depth of the cylinder and loft to create the cylinder base. Full credit for the answer to Mike...I just plagerized his answer.

• 4 months later...