Fine lines/gaps in PDF output from Mac OS X print

JoelS

Question

When I print to PDF via the Mac OS X print dialog, the resulting PDF is of the correct region and the content is rendered OK but there are fine white vertical lines (gaps?) in many of the filled objects which renders the image unusable.

The lines are present both in Preview and Acrobat Reader of if the file is imported into another application.

Printing the same region is fine.

Page setup has the scaling for VW and the page attributes as 100%, A3 LS.

All my layers are set to 'Paint'.

VW 11.5.1

Mac OS X 10.4.8

TIA

Joel.

8 answers to this question

Do you get the same result when printing directly to the printer?

Do you have any other printers installed? If so, try creating the PDF using one of those other printers.

If not, install a generic printer and create the PDF with the Generic Printer selected.

Printing to the R1800 printer is fine.

I have tried various settings in the print dialog, including all VW settings, changed to another printer (laserwriter) but the PDF output always shows the same lines. PDF output from other applications using the same mechanism is not affected by this problem.

I don't really understand the interaction between the print dialog settings and the effect these would have on the generation of PDF output.

I'll look into the generic printer option.

Joel.

I think I have found a workaround that seems to be producing good output.

If instead of Save as PDF? I choose Save PDF as Postscript? and the open the resulting file with Preview and let it convert the file to PDF, the rendering is clean.

I still have to go through the whole process of using the PDF in my DTP and finally printing the document so I'll report back on the results.

Joel.

When you use the OS built in PDF writer, such as in VW 11, the PDF is being created through your printer driver. That's why you have to have a printer selected in the Print dialog box.

My suggestion to switch printers to something else in the Print dialog box and then printing to a PDF identifies if the problem is in VW or the printer driver or the OS.

Katie,

The lines appear in Save as PDF no matter which printer is selected if the data originates in VW, no matter what settings I try. If Save PDF as Postscript is selected, I get good output irrespective of the printer driver chosen.

All the other applications from which I have used Save to PDF produce good output using any of the printer drivers.

Joel.