applying a texture to a column

KHDESIGN

Katie

Sorry, but I'm not even to the point of selecting Viewports - I can't get brick columns to show brick when I render the model in a design layer. I have a class for brick walls which has brick tecture selected for left, right & centre - this works fine for walls but not for columns. In the OIP for each column I have brick also selected under Render, but under both Fast and Final Render, columns come out grey while walls show brick.

Incidentally, I don't see anywhere a facility for differentiating parts of the column as you post implies.

What am I doing wrong?

The Column Object uses Style Classes. Select the Column Tool, click on the Preferences Button. At the botton of the window that opens are: Shaft Finish, Capital Finish and Base Finish. You can select None or Style 1 thru 15.

If you select something OTHER than None, that class will be added to your file and you can assign a Texture to that Style Class. You should see these textures on the Column when you render without having to add a skin.

George

Thank you, it worked like a charm.

However, I take it there is no way of texturing a column made by extruding a rectangle using AEC>COLUMN - you have to start with a column drawn with the palette tool, is that right?

And there is no way of changing the Style-1 title to something else, like say Wall-Column?

You can't change the name of the Style classes - these are used by numerous objects.

If you use AEC>Column to create the column, you cannot apply a texture to different "parts" of the column. Essentially, this way of creating a column is nothing more than an extrude called a column. To create a column this way, create the base shape as a 2D object. With this object selected, run the column command.

You can apply a texture to these types of columns via the Render tab of the Obj Info Palette.

Katie,

I'm using 12.5 Arch. Where is the Column Command? My menu shows AEC>Pillar, not Column. This creates an object which seems to be the same as an extrude. How do you adjust the mapping to get an Image based texture, such as brickwork to display properly? Doesn't it get stretched through the extrude? I can only get the mapping to work by converting to 3D Polys and adjusting the mapping on each Poly.

George

Edited by George Hannigan

Katie

Beans??

So in v12xx, do you have 3 options now, a column with base, shaft and capital (palette tool), an extrude called Column (AEC>Column) and another one called Pillar (shouldn't it be Pilaster?) which can be attached to a wall? In classical terms, a pilaster is the column at the end of a row, against a wall, usually 1/2 - 2/3 the depth of a free standing column.

2 Options. I think she means that the Column command has been re-named Pillar. I'm using 12.5 and the menu structure is AEC>Pillar, in 11.5 it is AEC>Column - same item, new name. Nomenclature aside, the AEC>Column/Pillar can be joined to a wall. It lacks some of the render characteristics of an extrude.

George

The menu command name should revert back to column. More correct.

Definitions from Francis Ching's "A visual Dictionary of Architecture":

Column - A rigid relatively slender structural member designed primarily to support axial compressive loads applied at member ends.

Pillar - an upright, relatively slender shaft or structure, usually of brick or stone, used as a buiding support or standing alone as a monument.

Columns are relatively simple elements. Pillars tend to have decoration added to them.

They probably got stuck with a tool & a menu command sharing the same name, but differing somewhat in function. How about merging the functions of the Menu>Pillar(old Column) and the Tool>Column into a single Tool - "Column". The Tool Palette would then have the Column tool and the Pillar tool in one place?