Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Can I do this with vectorscript?

AndrewTh

I'm thinking about delving into vectorscript for a specific project. What I'd like to do is select a group of objects and automagically create multiple views of these objects. So I would select this group of objects (a chair, for example) run the script and it would pop out a new layer with a top, right, left, front and back view. Is this possible? Is it worth my time? Am I crazy for even wanting to try this? Am I reinventing the wheel to do it?

Thanks in advance for help, and please excuse my n00biness.

r/

Andrew

Andrew,

I'm afraid that you are indeed reinventing the wheel. Viewports handle this extremely well. If, however, you need the projections for further design, you can of course write a script that creates new layers with the appropriate projection and layer links on them to display the source layer - but doing the same without a script is probably a good idea as you will anyway need to unlock and move the links to convenient locations.

Neither approach handles a selection, though. I'd recommend using separate documents for the creation of complex objects, such as chairs, and importing them to other documents as symbols.

Truth to be said, the lack of four active windows, with different projections - found in many other CAD programs - is a serious shortcoming in VW.