Network license breaks for 12.5

sth

Question

This has been driving us nuts. We have a network license for about 10 seats for Vectorworks. We have a USB dongle on a server running the license manager. This has worked fine for quite awhile.

Upon upgrading to 12.5, VW now will not launch and cannot find the dongle. Those who did not upgrade can still launch VW 12.0.1 and 11.5.X. The 12.5 does not even attempt to contact the license server. (snoop on ethernet and no connection attempt).

We have deleted preferences, reloaded the nethasp.ini file, installed the latest dongle network server, rebooted the server, moved the nethasp.ini file from the application folder, to /etc, moved it to /Users/name and nothing works.

This is an OS X based system (10.4) for both the license server and for the clients. There are a few windows clients but they have not upgraded and are a bit hesitant since the silly updater removes the 12.0.1 version.

Has ANYTHING changed in the format of the nethasp.ini file for the client?

Where should the nethasp.ini file reside.

It seems that the client VW 12.5 is not able to find the ini file the same way that VW 12.0.1 did.

2 answers to this question

You can duplicate the 12 0 1 folder and only update one of the 12 0 1 folders.

All computers should be updated to 12.5 to alleviate certain connection issues.

The ini file should continue to work as it did.

The dongle drivers need to be updated on the mac computers. You can do so at aladdin.com.

Also make sure you have downloaded the latest version of 12.5 - it's been updated since 2 weeks after the initial release.

Katie, Thanks for the quick reply!

1. I did duplicate it on mine since I am a paranoid SOB. But we are making copies of that installation and moving them around. We keep thinking that tech support will come up with a solution.

2. Does this mean that I can't have a mixture of older versions and newer ones? This is a problem getting all updated precisely at the same time. Can I mix version 11 and 12? 12 and 12.5? 11.5 and ???. Or is it only 12.0.1 that is borked?

The dongle driver only needs to be updated on the server, right? Since that has the dongle. I installed (I believe the latest version).

It may be that we have an old version of 12.5. Stealth upgrades!!! How is a mere mortal user supposed to know that a version is updated? Please use that extra location even if it means renaming it version 12.5.1!!! Yes the buid numbers change from 60762 to 61447 but there is no way to tell that from the download site.

But even the newer version tells me that there is no active network dongle server was found. Yet, version 12.0.1 will launch and run just fine with the same nethasp.ini file.