Stretching walls in an elevation view

JMF19

Question

3 answers to this question

Not sure what you mean - you can stretch walls in elevation using the 3D Reshape tool. To stretch the tops and bottoms, you have to stretch each corner separately. I haven't run across any limitations as far as extent is concerned.

But I do wish the following: 1) that there were a handle to stretch walls vertically, instead of having to move each corner, and 2) that there were some way when stretching walls horizontally in elevation view to constrain the wall angle and to keep them from changing their plan view angle and orientation.

JMF19: The "invisible boundary" might be the actual length of the wall, as seen in top/plan view. In order to "stretch" the wall beyond its length, go to plan view and make the wall longer.

Pete: I use "fit walls to roof" a lot for this sort of thing (using dummy shapes in dummy layers as my fit to objects). But also, when using the 3d reshape tool, try using it in conjunction with the data display bar. It takes a little getting used to but if done properly you can constrain both the z height and length of the point (vertex) being moved this way :-)

Peter, thanks for the advice, a good tip as usual. I use the method you suggest often, but what I'm looking for is the ability to edit one wall at a time by stretching it up or down the way other objects can be stretched.

Have you noticed that stretching a wall viewed in elevation horizontally, using the 3D reshape tool, sometimes causes it to change its plan angle?

PS: JMF, you can add vertices to the top or bottom of a wall to get it to conform to any shape in elevation using the 3D reshape tool by selecting the "+" mode.