Problem with symbol in wall

We have been trying to insert window PIO's as a symbol into walls but everytime they end up rotated 90 degrees perendicular to the line of the wall.

We can insert them without any difficulty as a standard PIO but want the ability for them to be inserted as symbols.

SymbolProblem.jpg

Does anybody have any clues as to how this can be fixed or is it a bug?

Thanks,

John Ryan

Camilleri-Preziosi Ryan Archtects Dublin

VW 12.5 Mac OSX 10.4.8

John,

Drake is correct in that you must locate the symbol in your Resource Browser...right click it and edit both the 2D and 3D instances of the symbol (if both are showing up oriented at 90 to the wall. They must both be rotated to orient in the correct way. Make a copy of the symbol and edit the copy to experiment with the rotate.

Pete A.

Thanks for the help

The solution of editing the symbol and rotating it 90 degrees partially worked. The windows did end up in the same plane as the wall but they don't fit properly into the wall. ie the symbol has lost the ability of the basic PIO to recognise that the external sill projects out beyond the face of the wall and the inner lining lines up with the inner face.

I am going to report it as a bug and would appreciate if someone in NNA can confirm this is the case,

John Ryan

Camilleri-Preziosi Ryan Architects - Dublin

VW12.5 MacOSX 10.4.8 G5 2Ghz

John, can you confirm that the symbol was actually inserted, as opposed to just being superimposed (i.e., look at a 3D view so see if you can see through the glass)?

If your symbol insertion tool has been toggled so that it is not in wall insertion mode, the little icon showing a window in a wall with two arrows will not be selected. Click on that, or use the "i" key to toggle that mode. It sounds like this is your problem, because in this mode a window won't snap to orient to the wall and won't adapt to the wall thickness.

Pete

Thanks for your advice. I managed to sort the problem out with the help of Gunther Miller in NNA. The key to it is having the window in a horizontal orientation before creating the symbol and to make sure that X,Y & Z co-ordinates in the object info pallette are all set to 0.

John Ryan

Camilleri-Preziosi Ryan Architects - Dublin

VW 12.5 Mac OSX 10.4.8