Rendering in 3D-Hardware

I'm very new to VW and will be working in VW in 3D. I already know that my two year old Powerbook will probably be a little light on processing power for this and I'm going to get a new machine. I'm considering all options, PC and Mac. (Sorry Mac users.) So, my question for the VW pros on this forum is what have they found to be sufficient/good/excellent for this work. I probably won't be gettting a pro-quality workstation (ok, I won't be) if that helps. Specificity would be appreciated although I know the answer is really only one word-More.

There's plenty of threads no this topic already, but here's how it breaks down for me:

-Don't skimp on monitors, they dramatically increase productivity for the user.

-VW says it will support quad processors, so go with those. Can't afford them? Go with duals.

-Gig(s) of RAM

-A good video card that supports OpenGL.

I've never noticed VW writing back and forth to the hard drive so I don't think it will affect performance.

Above all...comfortable chair/desk/workstation.

If the Mac Pro is out of your price range I'd certainly put the iMac 20" Dual Core 2 on your shortlist, that is if you want to stay Apple.

Of course bear in mind that whatever Mac you buy will be a change to the Intel family of processors and you'll need to upgrade your software to UB versions to get the best from them.

Also take account of the limited upgradability of the all in one machine, but in most instances its only really the ram that most people need to worry about and you'll be covered there okay.

More additional storage capacity beyond the built in hard drive can be handled with an external hard drive/s.

Sadly if you don't want to have a built in screen but have the flexibility to choose your own seperate one then you've found the one area lacking in what is otherwise a near prefect range of products Apple are offering at present.

For those not wanting the power or price tag of the Mac Pro the only alternative is the Mac Mini and the built in graphics card is just not good enough for what you propose.

Apple could do with introducing a good middle ground machine. Mini tower style, Core Duo2 processor with a seperate graphics card, but maybe they feel this would harm sales of both the Mac Mini and iMac.

Having said that the monitor in the 20" iMac is very good and its my current top of the list for upgrading to.

Of course going the Windows route will give you greater choice in machines and configurations, and may well sit in that price range you have a budget for.

Currently Intels Core Duo 2 based machines are the ones to go for in terms of performance/cost balance but as we all know with computers, that's today, next week, next month, next year may be a different story. AMD will not sit still.

You'll also benefit from being able to choose from a greater range of graphic cards.

Buying from a manufacturer will give you support and a warranty whilst building your own machine will give you the maximum flexibility in component choice but may not be something you are keen to do or feel comfortable with.

Alan