Hidden line problem for Roof Faces

MKingsley

Before 12.5, when I rendered a Roof Face with a double edge miter in hidden line I would get extra lines on the sides of the roof that would eminate from the corner of that double edge miter. Now with 12.5, I get those lines about half the time. Usually I'll create one roof face and then mirror duplicate it for the other side. The original will render without the lines and the mirror duplicate renders with those lines. I'd rather have it one way or the other. Has this been submitted as a bug yet?

Michael,

I was having some issues with a roof face earlier today when mirroring. The roof rafter end condition was square cut. What was happening was the mirror version would vertical cut the end condition and there was no ability to change to any other condition. After doing a little research I found that the mirror command created the duplicate with a rectangle and not a polygon. It took a little digging to find that difference. I always create my roof faces with polygons which build better. When I remade the roof face manually with the polygon it built correctly and modified properly.

Maybe you should see how your roof face is built by editing and seeing what the base structure is made up of.

Pete A.

Boy, I wish that was true for me but it ain't. I did a little experimenting on a blank file and it doesn't seem to matter what the base structure is. And it looks like I got my wish in that all the roofs I created in the new file had the old look of one line parallel to the roof pitch coming from the double edge miter point and that little vertical line up from the bottom corner of the horizontal cut. Like I said, one way or the other is better.

It looks like it renders fine for half a second and then the lines appear, con sarn it! This is happening on my PowerBook G4 as well, by the way.

Michael,

Here is my little experiment...

RoofLines.jpg

A.) Built left face using the rectangle tool then using the mirror tool built the right face. Roof displays unwanted lines.

B.) Built the left face using the polygon tool then using the mirror tool built the right face. Left roof displays OK but right face displays unwanted lines.

C.) Built the left face using the polygon tool then using Ctrl-D duplicate command following with the rotate tool to build the right face. Both roof faces display correctly.

D.) Built the left face using the polyline tool then using the mirror tool built the right face. Left roof displays OK but right face displays unwanted lines.

E.) Built the left face using the polyline tool then using Ctrl-D duplicate command following with the rotate tool to build the right face. Both roof faces display correctly.

This little trial seems to uncovered the fact that you should not use the rectangle tool to build roof faces in which you will use the double mitre end condition. With using the double mitre always build your roof face with the polygon or polyline tools and if going to mirror the object always duplicate and then rotate into position.

I have duplicated this many times and have achieved the same results.

Note: I am using VW 12.5 on a PC

If someone else would like to verify this occurance please do and document your results here....if what I have found is true then it may be a bug but it is not fatal and the work around will save much time and achieve better results.

Pete A.

Thanks for your work on this, Pete. I'd appreciate it if you could "be the reporter on a bug report" with your test file.

Thanks Andrew for finding this problem as well and for whatever fix you may have for it. I was starting to think that it had something to do with my set-up. In my test file, none of my roofs were free of the unwanted lines anymore, so I couldn't even reproduce the original problem. It was as if 12.5 gave up trying and said to heck with it, I'm going back to my old habit. smirk.gif

• 1 month later...

I have a routine that I try and stay consistent when entering data concerning roof faces. I always draw the poygons in a clockwise direction and, when promted for the roof face axis define it also in a clockwise direction so that when the arrow pops up it is always pointing in the proper direction as a default so that I do not need to adjust it's position.

I don't know if that has any bearing on the problem at hand with the double lines visible on the rake fascia but I do not have any issue with it appearing on my roof structures unless I break from my procedure.

Pete A.