"All serial numbers are in use..."

I keep getting false messages regarding more than one copy of VW being open. There is one copy of VW open on the only computer operating, with only one person in the room at that computer and it causes the app to behave strangely. Is it the prefs? What is it?

VW 11.5, MacBKPro OS 10.4.8

This is designed to prevent more than one user on a network from using a single-station license. If you connect to the internet after opening VW, it can sometimes mistake the internet connection for another computer.

When you see this message, it should do more than "cause the app to behave strangely" - it should cause VectorWorks to shut down.

If the solution is to restart VW, and after that things are okay, internet connection may be the problem.

There are some issues where this happens in VW 11 on a mac environment. It's a false report of serial number usage. Unfortunately, there's not way to alleviate the problem without upgrading to VectorWorks 12.

VW 11.5 and 11.5.1 had some improvments to lessen the occurance of the issue, but was not completely eliminated.

Things were changed in VW 12 to eliminate this issue.

Well, when you say there's no way to alleviate this without upgrading to version 12, I think that's totally unacceptable. We can't afford to upgrade again and again for hundreds of dollars just for bugfixes. We've hit huge bugs all the way from version 8 onward that never get addressed and we have to pay for simple bugfixes. I go off and on the network all the time on my laptop here at work - drafting in the theatres and such, and it tells me my serial is in use. I just upgraded from 9.5 to 11.5 last year and now we're finding printing size limitations that are annoying, as well as rounding errors that haven't been fixed since version 6.

I am going to use the Mac OS X firewall to block the ports that Vectorworks uses to check and hope for a bugfix. I can't be losing data or be interrupted all the time.

Edited by acttheatre

Sbeers,

You shouldn't be getting the falsified alert of all serial numbers in use. I suspect that an instance where you are getting the serial number issue under VW 12, is infact because another serial number is in use, or that an older version of the software w/ a matching serial is installed on separate computers.