light positions

Jim_Allen

I will admit to Alzheimers. I cannot figure out how to get my pipes to take a Z height. I draw the line, convert to light position but they will not take a Z. Kevin, in another post, said they need to have a 3-D component but I am stimied as to how or what I am missing.

I assume when you convert to .. it gives the pipe a 3-D. If not, how do I do it? I tried to edit,but they are editable. I tried extruding the line before converting to a position but it then disapears after converting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim - Here is the order of steps. Try this in a fresh, layerless, classless file.

1) draw a line

2) select the line and copy it

3) create symbol... - make sure that you select "leave instance in place"

4) right click on the newly made symbol in the resource browser and select "edit... 3D"

5) select "edit - paste in place". The line that you copied in #2) should paste in place.

6) extrude that line.

7) exit the symbol.

8) reselect the symbol on the page.

9) convert it into a lighting position.

10) now everytime you add the symbol as a position - you will be able to give it a z value.

Note that if you are extruding a line for the 3D portion you get nothing but a vertical plane. In order to get a "pipe", you need to draw a circle, extrude it into a pipe, and then reorient it into the proper position - all while working in the 3D part of the symbol's resource.

If all of the positions are identical - then you only do it once. You can rename each position in the OIP, give them different heights, etc. even though they're all created from one symbol. It doesn't make sense for this to be automatic, Jim - all pipes aren't the same diameter and everybody draws pipes differently (a line for you - two lines for others) as examples. Another would be if someone were drawing unistrut.