Blend edge tool

Is it possible to blend a curved edge?

I have created an extrusion like a bent plank of timber. When I try to blend the bent edge I can do it with the chamfer option, but not the radius option. It comes up with the message "try another radius or select 'tangent entities option'" I have tried both, to no avail.

Christian

W2K VW952

You should easily be able to do what you want, but I found the blend edge tool fairly unreliable under 9.5.2.

Sometimes your curves can be too tight for the blend to work or the radius is too large, but other times it just wont work. Under VW 10 all the solid modeling tools and nurbs are much faster and more reliable, the only limitation I've found on the blend edge tool under VW 10 is that the radius cannot be so big as to interupt another blended edge.

I did this in 9.5.3b2

is it close to what you want?

-

Thanks for the help.

The 'plank' that I want to blend the edge on is bent in the other axis, imagine a steam bent plank.

Since I posted I have successfully gone through the entire operation using a chamfer. No luck with a radius, just crashed the app.

I will wait for VW10. I have ordered the update, but they are not yet shipping in the UK. Grrrrrrr....

Christian

Christian

Oh, you mean like this [big Grin]

-

To be honest, if you are running under 9.5.2 you may not want to use the blend edge tool for this. The problem is it creates a solid make out of nurbs surfaces. Under 9.5.2 these types of objects take forever to move, or edit. so if you have several of them that you are manipulating it will drive you nuts. Like I said VW 10 is much faster.

AndyM7777

Well if they paid me it would be work, then it probably wouldn't be as much fun, and I'd probably stop posting. [Wink] Truthfully, I'm one of those geeks that gets off solving problems. That and it gives me a productive break every so often throughout the day.

MikeB

That's right

Thanks for the advice. You have saved me hours of tinkering. I know that there are other ways to skin that particular cat, but it's a detail that I use all the time, and if I could get the tool to work it would be very useful.

I'll wait for that elusive V10 before I play around anymore.

Katie - send the man a mug, t shirt, fast car etc.

Christian

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

MikeB-

Did you ever send in the files with the renderings that were screwy?

(tech@nemetschek.net attn katie)

Ummm, No, sorry, I'll send it to you today. Been busy lately and I kind of forgot about that.

Also, Here's the results from my lunch time export.

Exported Image

-

Screen Shot

-

The only difference I can see is that the exported image is showing more of the view than what I chose on the screen. This isn't a big deal for me, but kind of strange.

In my applications folder I found my Quick time player, its verion 6.0.1 so I assume that means I have Quick time 6.0.1 (duh)

Christian

The tool should work under VW9, thats what I used to create the image I posted. Make sure your radius is less than half the width of the object. For instance, my object is 3/4" thick, I set the radius of the blend to 1/4" , allowing 1/4" of flat space between the two curved surfaces. This may be your problem.

Or try to create the initial geometry a different way, the first image I posted was a simple extrude that was blended. The second image wouldn't work that way (don't know why) so I had to take my polygon, convert it to a nurb, duplicate it, move the duplicate, loft the two together, then blend it.

Good Luck

[ 10-17-2002, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: MikeB ]

quote:

Originally posted by MikeB:

Christian

The tool should work under VW9, thats what I used to create the image I posted. Make sure your radius is less than half the width of the object. For instance, my object is 3/4" thick, I set the radius of the blend to 1/4" , allowing 1/4" of flat space between the two curved surfaces. This may be your problem.

I should also add, that you cannot set your blend to exactly 1/2 the width of your object, or at least I cant. The blend will fail. You have to set the blend to slightly less than 1/2.

Good Luck

Mike

It's not the radius size, but it could well be the initial geometry of the object. I tried a couple of different options, but nothing as convoluted as your suggestion.

What is peculiar is that for a given 'bent plank' I can put a chamfer on one side, but cannot put a radius (with the same settings) on the other.

Christian

Mike,

By any chance (on a different topic) did you export that image file from OS 10.2 with QT 6.0.1?

If so, what rendering mode did you use?

Have you been able to export that as another file type so the grey line goes away?

This is a problem we've had reports of and are trying to work it out.

Katie,

I'm under OS 10.2.1 using VWA/RW 9.5.3b2

I have a 733mhz G4 with 384 Mb of ram.

I didn't export the image, I took a screen shot and used that. I'm going to export an image over lunch, so I'll let you know how that goes around 1:30 EST.

By the way, how do I find out what version of Quick time I'm running, i assume its 6.0.1, but I really dont know.

i had some blend edge difficulties with

object created out of high resolution polylines,

a good tip:

before changing a polyline to a polygon,

change under file>>vectorworks preferences

2d conversion resolution to low, medium etc.

then advance your 2d base to 3d (eg extrude)

after that preconfiguration, a complicated 3d object seems easier to blend edges like you want them to

be blended