How to model this wall and also how to flatten it

David_M

Hello, I'm working on a design and having trouble figuring out the best way to model a wall in VW that has many angles and planes which all have to join perfectly.

Here is a link to a photo of the wall on the preliminary model I made:

http://davidminkoff.com/currentprojects/pic1a.jpg

I was going to draw each section as a polygon, extrude it to about 1/4" and then try and move the corners in each dimension as needed, joining each extruded polygon along the seams. I'm certain there must be an easier way. Or is there?

I'd also like to be able to constrain each polygon to be cut from a 4' by 8' sheet of stock.

Here's part 2 of my question: after getting this modeled in VW, I'd like to flatten out each adjoining section of the wall again so that we can get accurate measurements for each shape to use as construction drawings. I saw that some folks mentioned FormZ and one or two other pieces of expensive software that I cannot really afford right now. My project has no curves, so can I simply do it all in VW? Thanks!!

I think there's a couple ways of tackling this problem. To me, I mostly gear my drawings toward the style of construction that I know the shop is going to take. Are they going to carve it? Weld it? It's definitely possible to model this shape in VW, and get a flat elevation of each facet. Again, the real question remains, what's the shop going to do with the seams?

You can do it easily using the old fashioned Working Planes Method:

1) Create a separate named Working Plane for each facet by clicking on 3 vertices of each individual shape.

2) Activate a specific WP then draw a 2d Poly onto the shape.

3) Cut & Paste the polygon into a new Layer

4) repeat for all facets

5) Match up the edges as you proceed being mindful of the angular gaps.

Thanks for the tip. If I understand that correctly, it'll help me to flatten the planes of the finished model in VW. Problem is, I really need a hint as to an easy way to create the 3-d model of the wall in VW. Is there a way to draw a flat surface, create vertices or points within the center of that flat surface and then "pull" points up or "push" points down in order to create the angular look from my preliminary model (see link above)? If so, it'd be easier to make changes as needed. I think this can be done with nurbs(?) but I haven't worked with them and they seem to form curves rather than the angles I want. Sorry for stupid questions, but I haven't done anything like this before. . .

Problem is, I really need a hint as to an easy way to create the 3-d model of the wall in VW. Is there a way to draw a flat surface, create vertices or points within the center of that flat surface and then "pull" points up or "push" points down in order to create the angular look from my preliminary model (see link above)? If so, it'd be easier to make changes as needed.

I think this Architosh forum thread might help for the model, then islandmon's tips for flattening.

David,

In addition to the above;

One way to go about it would be to start by drawing an approximate front elevation of the whole thing.

If you draw each panel one at a time,as a 3D polygon, snapping from the corners of the previous ones till you end up with the whole thing.

Select them all, and do Model>Add Solids. This will give you one big shape as long as all the corners were snapped together properly.

Then do Modify>Convert>Convert to Mesh.

You will then have one big shape with all the original intersections as Mesh verticies which can be used as a starting point for manipulation as previously suggested.

HTH,

N.

OOPS,

not quite right,

There is a limit that appears to be if you enclose one of the polys with others; after the Solids & Mesh conversion it will rearrange(simplify) the faces of the mesh and not respect your original shapes.

YMMV

cheers

Edited by propstuff

Since 'fit-to-4x8 plywd' is required first create a bunch of 'fractal' congruent triangles from each sheet, then Extrude each triangle to the depth of ply. This way each 3d Tri also includes the original 2d polygon for use as a template.

or

Make each Tri a symbol .. extrude to zero for ease of assembly , then later after everything is in place add in the depth and copy out the 2d Poly to a new layer or paste back to create a hybrid.