2d/3d interface

P Retondo

Question

Since we have learned that the 2d/3d is involved in getting us to a UCS system, I thought it would be apropos to raise again a request I've had in the past, having to do with registering the origin of a 3d object to it's 2d "base" object. I think I'm talking mainly about extrudes here.

We frequently create extrudes from a 2d shape drawn in relation to the project as a whole. Then we often move or duplicate the 3d object, thus breaking the registration between the original 2d shape and the extrude. If we need to edit the 3d shape in relation to its new position, we can't simply draw a new 2d object in place and replace or edit the original one, because the position link has been broken. My request is to maintain the position link by translating the 2d base object's origin by the same transformation that moves or mirrors or rotates the extrude.

This is how floors and roofs work. Extrudes are a bit more complicated because they can be rotated about the x and y axes, unlike roofs and floors. But if tackling the UCS challenge opens the door to fulfulling this wish, I hope NNA engineers consider it.

1 answer to this question