Moving Symbols in Walls

Will,

Moving symbols(windows and doors) inside of walls is done throught the position button on the object info pallette. When you select the window or door (PIO's) notice that the wall they are located in also becomes selected. At the same time notice the start arrow and end selection tab of the wall. When you re-position the PIO (window or door) you will add to the position if moving away from the start or subtract from the [position if moving towards the arrow. Once you get a little practice with the position you will see the logic of how to move an object that is attached to a wall. Every object that is associated with a wall object must retain it's inteligence in relation to the walls height, width and depth...this means that you can't arbitrally move an object on the fly without sometimes taking it's intellegent position away removing it's relation from the wall object. It is still present as a 3D object but it has no association with the wall object.

Hope this helps...

Pete A.

Will, you can also use the 2D Reshape Tool in VW 11.5 and VW 12.5 (but not VW 12 as it 'breaks' the wall joins).

- Select your wall.

- Select the 2D Reshape Tool.

- Draw a marquee over the Doors and/or windows you want to move (you can move more than one at the same time).

- Select the Move menu command and enter the required value.

Quick and easy when the walls are orthoganal to the XY grid. A bit trickier when it is not. Then you are better using the OIP Position method described in the post above. (Don't forget you can do arithmetic in the dialog box.)

Is it possible to move symbols, particularly plug-in objects such as windows, in walls and snap them to lines (such as one might use for reference, for the edge or center of the window)? Sometimes it works, but more often the symbols become 2D symbols, rather than remaining as a "Symbol in Wall." Thanks.

You can drag the symbols or PIOs to snap to a line or point, but be sure that you disable the "Wall Insertion Mode" of the 2d selection tool (second icon in the upper taskbar). This will ensure that the symbol doesn't disengage from the wall.

Ah ha! The "Wall Insertion Mode" tool not only makes it possible to engage a symbol or PIO in a wall, but it also makes it equally possible to disengage the same symbol or PIO from the wall. So, disabling that does the trick, and my windows now stay in the wall when I move them about!

I'm tracing from an AutoCAD underlay drawing, thus, the Position Button isn't very helpful, though I have used it before. But thanks for the explanation! At least I now know what a 'PIO' is!

I didn't realize you could use the 2D shape to move symbols in a wall. It's especially useful because you can move more than one symbol at a time, and especially because the entire wall doesn't move (as it does when you select a symbol and use the Move command).

Interesting that sending lines to the back prevents them from disengaging symbols from walls; I'll have to play with that a bit more.

Thanks all for the excellent information! -Will